College Policy Debate Forums
September 19, 2018, 03:21:18 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: IF YOU EXPERIENCE PROBLEMS WITH THE SITE, INCLUDING LOGGING IN, PLEASE LET ME KNOW IMMEDIATELY.  EMAIL ME DIRECTLY OR USE THE CONTACT US LINK AT THE TOP.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Wireless Access at Northwestern  (Read 2402 times)
lukephill

« on: September 29, 2010, 04:52:40 PM »

As many of you remember the Northwestern network can be particularly tricky to deal with.  We are proactively sending usernames and passwords out to the coaching contacts for each school before people get to campus.  However, people wishing to access the network should also take steps to get familiar with the NU network before arriving.  I really wish there was a simple step solution to the network problem.  There is not.  Every operating system works with the NU network a little bit differently. 

Remember that you should always try to connect to the "Northwestern" network,  "NWUlan" is a relic of the past that should be avoided.

Luckily, NUIT realizes the network is a pain and has created help pages for each operating system here http://www.it.northwestern.edu/oncampus/wireless/wireless-connections/

I HIGHLY recommend that if you run a Windows operating system that you download the Connection Wizard before you get to Evanston.  It will automatically preform the computer magic necessary to get your PC connected.  For Vista and XP they can be found here  http://www.it.northwestern.edu/oncampus/wireless/wireless-connections/wireless-config.html  Just add a netid and password and you have a connection.

Whatever operating system you use, save a copy of the instructions before you get to campus and are without wireless to help you connect to the network.  If you still have trouble ask the nearest tab table to help you.

More important information coming soon.

LH
xu

« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2010, 01:46:18 PM »

One common problem we saw that people had with the network in the past was that Windows would try to automatically connect to the network using your computer's login information instead of your netid. When this happens, it often seems like the network just won't ask you to enter your netid.

Attached is a guide for how to deal with that problem - the images and steps are specific to Windows Vista, but they are relatively translatable to XP and Windows 7. This isn't typically a problem for Mac users since it's a Windows-specific setting that causes this particular error.

* NU network troubleshoot.pdf (558.2 KB - downloaded 459 times.)
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: