College Policy Debate Forums
October 19, 2018, 07:53:28 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: IF YOU EXPERIENCE PROBLEMS WITH THE SITE, INCLUDING LOGGING IN, PLEASE LET ME KNOW IMMEDIATELY.  EMAIL ME DIRECTLY OR USE THE CONTACT US LINK AT THE TOP.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Vanderbilt-An Afterword  (Read 2204 times)
Neil Butt

« on: October 18, 2010, 07:55:22 AM »

First, thanks to everyone for coming! It was great to have everyone in Nashville for the weekend!

Congratulations to Samford for winning both the Novice and JV divisions, and to West Georgia for winning the varsity division.

I would also like to thank the several folks to let us hire them for an extra round or two or who volunteered an extra round to help make things work.

It speaks well of our community that we had so many volunteers for the novice teach-in that we couldn't use them all (now if we could just get more novices to the tournament…)

I'm happy to report that Elliott’s surgery went very well and he is now recovering. We appreciate everyone's concern, and the requests for updates about his condition again speak well of the level of caring in our community. [For those that were not still at the tournament later in the day on Sunday, Elliott Melaney, one of our novice debaters, reported stomach pains when he came in to help with the tournament Sunday morning, and within hours was scheduled for an immediate appendectomy. ML was with him at the hospital, which is why some of you did not get a chance to talk to her before you left on Sunday.]

Finally, please let me know what suggestions you have to make the tournament even better next year.  After two years out, I was a little rusty, and a little behind on tab room tech developments, but I'll catch up. There are already some things that I know I should fix (e.g., posting the point scale ahead of time, taking better advantage of online judge preference entry, etc.), and some things I'm not sure yet how to fix but am thinking about (e.g., the inevitability of losing rounds of commitment from judges that don't fit in many debates because of conflicts and/or having a lot of teams in the pool—I’m not even talking about fit in the MPJ sense), but I'd also like to hear from you if you have any feedback.

Once again, thanks for coming!

Hester

« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2010, 08:44:36 AM »

Muchas gracias to Vanderbilt University for the hospitality. Thanks to ML, Neil, and everyone else with Vandy Debate for running a smooth, friendly tournament.

Mid-October in Nashville is wonderful!

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: