College Policy Debate Forums
October 18, 2018, 06:31:22 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: IF YOU EXPERIENCE PROBLEMS WITH THE SITE, INCLUDING LOGGING IN, PLEASE LET ME KNOW IMMEDIATELY.  EMAIL ME DIRECTLY OR USE THE CONTACT US LINK AT THE TOP.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Redbird Debate Tournament, Jan. 15-17, 2011  (Read 1906 times)
Donny Peters

« on: October 18, 2010, 10:13:16 AM »

Dear Colleagues,

Illinois State University is pleased to invite you and your students to the Second Annual Redbird Debate Tournament. We will offer 8 rounds of competition in open and JV, and 6 rounds of novice debate. We want to provide 3 divisions this year, so let me know if there is anything I can do to accommodate you. The tournament will be Saturday January 15th through Monday January 17, 2011. We will provide breakfast and lunch on Saturday and Sunday as well as breakfast on Monday. We will also provide snacks throughout the day. I hope to see you all here in Normal, if you have any questions feel free to e-mail or call me.

Sincerely,

Donny Peters
Director of Debate
Illinois State University
(304)-438-2321
djpete2@ilstu.edu

Hotel Information.

The tournament hotel this year is the Signature Inn (this is a change from last year). Rooms are 69.99 per night. This hotel is more centrally located within the town so you will have easier access to restaurants. You should reserve rooms under ISU Debate team.  You must reserve rooms by Dec. 14 to get the block rate.

There are plenty of other accessible hotels in the Bloomington-Normal Area. Itís rather ridiculous how many hotels there are in the area. If you would like any recommendations feel free to contact me.

Entry Information

We will be offering Open, JV and Novice divisions. Entry fees are $85 per team. This includes breakfast and lunch on Saturday and Sunday, breakfast on Monday, and awards and hospitality. The time limits will be 9-3-6, with 10 minutes of preparation time per team.  We will be using the 2010-2011 CEDA/NDT resolution. Please use the Bruschke website to enter your teams. The entry deadline is 5 p.m. Central Time, Tuesday January 11, 2011. When you register please indicate the number of vegetarians, vegans etc. We will try to accommodate all dietary needs. We will provide preferences dependent on the number of judges. I will post information regarding preferences the week of the tournament on the CEDA forum website.  Finally, hybrid teams will be allowed to participate and clear to elimination rounds.

Judging

Each school should provide 1 qualified judge per two teams. All judges are committed through the first elimination round or the first round after your team is eliminated. We don't have many possibilities for hired judges in the Bloomington-Normal area so it is crucial for you to find your own judging. The fee will be $100.00 per uncovered team. If you need a hired judge from us, please let me know two weeks prior to the tournament. All judges at the tournament are expected to render a decision where they indicate one, and only one, team that won the round (did the better job of debating). Judges' ballots not adhering to this principle will be "corrected" by the tab room through use of a coin flip. No round will take longer than 2 hours and 30 minutes from the reading of the 1AC until the judge signs the ballot. Keep in mind that if your round does run the duration of the 2.5 hours, you will be encouraged to keep your post-round comments brief.

Directions: I will provide specific directions the week of the tournament. I hope to see you in Normal IL In January.

Elimination Rounds

We will clear half of the field in each division providing the teams have at least a .500 record.

Tournament Schedule

Friday, January 14

8:00 - 10:00 p.m. Registration at the Signature Inn in Normal

Saturday, January 15

7:00 a.m. Pairings Released, Rounds 1 & 2, In Fell Hall & on the CEDA Debate Form

7:30 a.m. Continental Breakfast, ISU Campus, Fell Hall

8:00 a.m. Round 1 Required Starting Time

10:30 a.m. Round 2

12:30 p.m. Lunch (provided)

1:30 p.m. Round 3

4:30 p.m. Round 4

Sunday, January 16

7:00 a.m. Pairings Released, Rounds 5 & 6, Fell Hall & online

7:30 a.m. Continental Breakfast, ISU Campus, Fell Hall

8:00 a.m. Round 5

10:30 a.m. Round 6

12:30 p.m. Lunch (provided).

2:00 Round 7

5:00 p.m. Round 8

A list of teams participating in elimination rounds and the judges and standby judges will be emailed to directors and posted on CEDA forums as soon as possible after the conclusion of Round 8.

Monday, January 17--

7:00 a.m. Pairings Released, Online & at Fell Hall

8:00 a.m. First Elimination Round Required Starting Time

11:00 a.m. Awards

11:30- remaining elimination rounds
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: