College Policy Debate Forums
September 23, 2018, 03:42:52 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: IF YOU EXPERIENCE PROBLEMS WITH THE SITE, INCLUDING LOGGING IN, PLEASE LET ME KNOW IMMEDIATELY.  EMAIL ME DIRECTLY OR USE THE CONTACT US LINK AT THE TOP.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Card Cutting Standards  (Read 3573 times)
Matthew.Cook

« on: November 05, 2009, 08:40:41 PM »

I've encountered quite a few instances of evidence on the wiki being cut in the middle of paragraphs. I'm just wondering what the general philosophy is on this phenomenon. i assume that some of these are the result of scouts incorrectly recording this information. I was just under the impression that it was unethical to leave out portions of paragraphs, as they are complete thoughts.

thanks
kelly young

« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2009, 10:31:40 PM »

I'll give my 2 cents as I laughed at one of my debaters who almost refused to use a perfectly good and in-context card he got from a team because it was cut mid-paragraph.

I'm unsure when the standard of include the whole paragraph became necessary. I'm not really sure what the inclusion of a full paragraph really does to ward off bad behavior. Obviously, it's superior to a 1-2 sentence card without any context, but it certainly doesn't stop someone from cutting a full paragraph out of context or linking together 8-10 paragraphs, highlighting 4 sentences of the card and 8pt reducing the rest of the paragraphs to save space.

In a word of increased disclosure and constant internet access, any harm from not including the full paragraph seems moot.

The benefits or reasons for cutting out any part of a paragraph, I would imagine although I usually don't do it, would be to save space (yes, it can be reduced to 8-9 font, but that really isn't much of an improvement).

In a world where people increasing accepting cards from horrible sources and won't listen to qualification challenges or comparisons, allow highlighting that strings together several random lines of thought, etc. this doesn't seem like the worst of our card cutting problems.

However, it's certainly a valid issue to discuss. As I said, it's come up recently for us.

Director of Forensics/Associate Professor
Wayne State University
313-577-2953
kelly.young [at] wayne.edu
www.wsuforensics.org
charrigan

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2009, 08:56:22 PM »

Matthew --

Many people post the first and last words of the *underlined* text of their evidence - not the first and last words of the total selection that makes up the card. I don't - because its confusing to not disclose in a standardized fashion.

Casey
Matthew.Cook

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2009, 05:32:21 PM »

Noted. Thanks you two.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: