Author Topic: Paul Newman  (Read 27972 times)

SherryHall

Re: Paul Newman
« Reply #30 on: January 11, 2011, 04:51:11 PM »
Joel Page:

There are people who will escape the notice of historians, but who turn the gears of history. They influence thousands of people, shape the ideas of a place and a time, and coalesce the shared experiences of a community. These invisible mechanics of our intellectual and social and spiritual lives leave as sturdy and expansive a legacy as their counterparts in the newspaper. Newman was such a figure, and his legacy is one of life and generosity

SherryHall

« Reply #31 on: January 11, 2011, 06:20:50 PM »
Lyn Robbins :

Paul was passionate and smart and admirable.

kevin kuswa

« Reply #32 on: January 11, 2011, 07:49:40 PM »
Rough news.  What a force.  Perhaps one of the most Eastern (in the most positive way possible) thinkers I’ve ever had the chance to get to know.  Was just reminiscing with Congdon about times Paul had visited him at Pitt.  He made quick friends with the neighbors, a baker down the street, and always seemed to be exactly where he should be and where he needed to be.   I loved the time I had at the unfit with Paul, spending time with stapp, jon, others.   In high school, his teams were always some of the best in the country and we considered him to be the best judge in the country throughout the dozens of times we had him, even traveling to various tournaments and not others because he would be there and might judge us.  He judged rounds like a great teacher and a coach, really working at suggestions and ways to connect with all the debaters…we were motivated to advance to elims primarily  because Paul Newman might judge us twice!   not sure I would have stayed in debate without his model and inspiration.  rest well, we’ll miss you.

kevin kuswa 

SherryHall

« Reply #33 on: January 11, 2011, 10:32:25 PM »
Orin Hoffman :

Joel, of all the wonderful things I've read on this page, this *kritik* really speaks to me with respect to Paul. He was and still is one of my greatest teachers. I still often think of his teachings/antics/presence and know that many people he touched through his life do the same.

SherryHall

« Reply #34 on: January 11, 2011, 10:34:09 PM »
Martin Bode :

This is Paul in 1977 with his debate partner Carl Fischer. It's great to read about what a good coach he became. Paul was also a top debater on the national circuit with his partners Carl Fischer and Brian Spitzberg.

SherryHall

« Reply #35 on: January 11, 2011, 10:36:06 PM »

A tireless public advocate who never gave up using his ideas and voice for ideas he cared about. A great combination - debate and advocacy. Makes me understand what I need to do more of. Paul Newman left huge footprints.

Alfred Snider AKA Tuna

SherryHall

« Reply #36 on: January 11, 2011, 11:08:35 PM »
Alex Lennon:

So sad but such a great opportunity to celebrate a too-easily-overlooked influence. This story may sound a bit self-centered but it's a tribute to the effect one person can have because of who they are (who Paul was).

The Michigan 1985 summer that Steve M wrote about was my first HS summer workshop as a student (after my sophomore year of HS). Unbelievable to think that was 25 years ago. Paul was my lab leader in UM's second lab (mostly incoming juniors) and lived across the hall from me in the dorms. I don't say this lightly: In the classrooms and the dorms, he was a tireless teacher, worker, instructor, mentor--any and every positive word you can give to someone in a position of authority and influence, he embodied and gave me as a gift. He opened my intellectual curiosity in debate and showed me what the activity could really do for a student with competitive fire.

It'd be easy to end the story there and say what a huge influence he had on me. But he did so much more. Edgemont, to that point, was a high school that barely traveled at all. I think the first year we traveled out of the northeast was the following season, my junior year. No round robins or TOC or anything like that.

Paul constantly gave words of encouragement and advice when he saw us debate at national tournaments when I was a junior. He did more than that. We were lucky enough to debate his top team (Joe Thompson/Andy Edison to name other quality debaters with Paul) in the quarters at Emory that year (his gold key year). We lost but Paul watched the debate and took the time to give me words of advice and encouragement afterward, even though his team had rounds to prepare for and we were done.

It didn't end there. I am convinced that Paul put a kind word in to Ken Strange (who was simply a mythical figure to me at that time) to consider putting us in top top lab of incoming seniors at Dartmouth. We had no track record to speak of but, along with others, Ken took us in and it opened doors for us from what was then a small school in New York. Paul helped open doors to us as a tremendous opportunity (man, did that lab have a lot of smart people in it even beyond Ken's teaching and influence).

I was very close to Duck and very fond of Ross. As sad as the news of their passing was and is, in many ways, this news hits harder for me, probably because high school is such a formative time in peoples' lives. I couldn't have been luckier coming under the influence of such a tremendous teacher and influence than Paul in the summer of my 15th year of life.

Paul embodied everything I could hope to be as an educator and everything I hope high school debate continues to produce for the hundreds and thousands of students that benefit from it.

Rest in Peace, Paul. In ways you probably barely knew, you helped shape a core part of me and who I became (as well as so many others). For that, I am more grateful than you can imagine and miss you dearly.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2011, 10:13:19 AM by SherryHall »

SherryHall

« Reply #37 on: January 11, 2011, 11:39:15 PM »
E Harvey Craig:

I heard about this early yesterday and am shocked and sad. It has been years since I have seen Paul; however, what fond memories have flooded my mind the last two days. It seems only yesterday-----but it's been years. God speed to you, Paul.

Hester

« Reply #38 on: January 12, 2011, 12:12:35 AM »
"Paul Newman" - one of the greatest Hollywood stars of the 20th century. and yet, every person in debate associates that name with THE Paul Newman. THAT is when you know you've made an impression on folks.

my fondest memory of Paul was one of the last years i taught at the Michigan Classic in the late 90's. he had come up to observe, wasn't working at the Classic mind you, just "visiting." which meant giving bearhugs to all of his friends and giving holy hell to anyone who he deemed to be in need of some talkin' to as only Newman could do. the man was such a physical presence. he just took over the room from the moment he walked through the door.

anyways, he and i had bought tix to see the Allman Brothers at Pine Knob just outside of Detroit. i drive fast - all the time. but even my driving experience couldn't prepare me for riding shotgun with Newman. jeebus, the man was flying down the highway, looking me in the eye half the time checking to make sure i understood exactly what he meant with his latest comment. by the grace of bob we made it in one piece. had a blast at the show, and such a great time with Paul. i would see him again at Judy Butler's house a few years later, the weekend of the BF. that was the last time i really got to sit down and talk with him. and Coverstone makes a great point about Paul and his music. he always had that bigazz suitcase filled with CDs. we'd share stories about who we had last seen or which music we had last purchased. from that last visit, i left with an Iris Dement CD that Paul said "you just have to listen to." of course, he was right.

one of the best smiles in the community. broad as the biggest river, and as natural too. it's amazing how many people in this activity i have learned from in ways that have very little to do with debate. except that i never would have met them if it wasn't for debate. i'm so lucky i was able to spend time with him.

Paul Newman's legend is a reminder that our activity has always been led by many people for whom it is hard to imagine another place in the world where they could have fit in so comfortably.

SherryHall

« Reply #39 on: January 12, 2011, 10:12:24 AM »
Sanket Bulsara:

Chris -- my high school debate partner -- and I had the privilege of being judged by Paul many many times in high school, including in our last ever high school prelim debate. Our coaches had told us the first time we drew Paul -- "you're very lucky. He's the best." And he was. Every time we saw our names and his on the same line, we would feel a wonderful sense of gratitude and elation. We did feel lucky every time. We knew that we were going to be treated fairly, that Paul was going to reach the right result, and whether we won or lost, we learned so much from his post-round critiques. He was an educator of the highest rank and will be missed.

SherryHall

« Reply #40 on: January 12, 2011, 12:03:22 PM »
Lance Harvey   (in response to Alex Lennon's post)

So true. Especially how he seemed to be such a mature presence when you are probably at the most awkward time of your life. I remember we used to be so immature and pulled pranks on his debaters and yet he simply ignored them and always helped us out. He never called us out or embarrassed us as he so easily could have. In doing so we eventually matured and gained such respect for him and the activity.

SherryHall

« Reply #41 on: January 12, 2011, 05:29:29 PM »
Matthew Rice   (In response to Al Coverstone's Post)

I had a similar experience with Paul. When I was working as an RA at the Michigan institutes, Paul would often host late night get togethers at the U Towers after we all got off of our shifts. He would have a suitcase filled with cds and there would always be something playing. I remember him playing a Stevie Ray Vaughan album (The Sky is Crying) and hearing his version of Little Wing for the first time -- after I said how impressed I was, he kindly gifted me with the cd, which remains one of my favorites to this day.

SherryHall

« Reply #42 on: January 12, 2011, 05:57:09 PM »
Thad Swiderski:

The first time I met Paul was at a party at his house. On a visit to Dallas between my sophomore and junior years of high school, two of his students took my partner and I over to his house and we ended the evening sitting around his living room and talking about music. He liked us because we worked in a record store and were punks. He insisted that Steve Winwood was the greatest musician of all time and that Quicksilver Messenger Service was the greatest band. We thought he was a hippie but he was so passionate that he convinced us to listen- Plus he was the coach at St. Mark's, the greatest debate school in Texas in the 80's (sorry Bellaire, Clear Lake and Churchill).
I am still amazed that he was willing to hang out and treat high school sophomores with the same respect he treated adults. We continued to be friends throughout HS. In college, while debating at UT we always made Paul's house a stop on any trip to Dallas and later Houston. He would insist that we come judge whatever tournament was happening and stay at his house. We became good friends and I regret that we lost touch. I'll never forget his passion and the respect he showed all people regardless of age.

SherryHall

« Reply #43 on: January 13, 2011, 10:32:31 AM »
Eric Emerson:

I have received approval from Kinkaid to have a Houston service in memory of Paul at the school. I will probably open up our home afterwards for a more informal gathering. My hope is to have it early in February. If you are interested in attending or being updated about it, please contact me. My email is eric.emerson@kinkaid.org. I will be traveling this weekend, but I will try to touch base with everyone as soon as I can. I will update everyone as information becomes available.

SherryHall

« Reply #44 on: January 13, 2011, 10:33:40 AM »
Joel Rollins:

What follows is Haiku written by Paul honoring Jon Brody’s life. He gave it to me when Jon died, and I’m not sure if it was ever to be made public. Well, I’m making it so. In many ways, Paul’s words apply to Paul as much as they do Jon. In my mind, they were similar spirits and both had a profound influence on my life:

Jonathan Brody
Friend, Thinker, Teacher, Poet—
We celebrate you.

Gentle, troubled soul…
Fragile life; CARPE DIEM!
Moon Shadow dances.

Speak truth to power.
Ever question assumptions.
Humbly seek your path…

Explore mystery;
Think, analyze, contemplate;
Passion well-consumed.