College Policy Debate Forums
June 22, 2018, 04:46:54 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: IF YOU EXPERIENCE PROBLEMS WITH THE SITE, INCLUDING LOGGING IN, PLEASE LET ME KNOW IMMEDIATELY.  EMAIL ME DIRECTLY OR USE THE CONTACT US LINK AT THE TOP.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 2 suggestions  (Read 7314 times)
hansonjb

« on: November 24, 2009, 10:43:12 PM »

hey jeff or whoever is in charge here:

1. please change "pacific" to northwest rockies. we are called northwest rockies.

2. i strongly believe the default setting should be to receive emails for all items posted. then, explain to people how to change that setting should they choose.

i'm beginning to have significant doubts about this site and am thinking about setting up a new edebate listserv. people just aren't coming back to the site.

example: i used to post a request to hire judging on edebate and i would get an answer within 30 minutes. here, i have had such a post for some 10ish days (i think) and not one thing.

jim hanson Smiley
seattle u debate forensics speech rhetoric
kelly young

« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2009, 11:33:44 PM »

please dont make the default email notification. It is very easy to check for updates, simply click 'show unread posts since last visit.' the problem isn't the site as much as complete laziness by the college debate community to use a simple forum. The high school community has seemed to figure this out long ago, I find it amazing that we can't. I saw several people post that they were selling rounds and within a couple of hours get hired on this site.

This is why I giggle at the complaints that this is too low tech. People could barely use EDEBATE, now they can't use the next easiest technology.

Jim, please do not create your own EDEBATE. The real problem right now is that (for some reason) people haven't left EDEBATE, they dont know about this site, they've heard about the new edebate...etc. There's quite a bit of confusion about where to go for debate information, last thing we need more debate website proliferation.

Kelly

Director of Forensics/Associate Professor
Wayne State University
313-577-2953
kelly.young [at] wayne.edu
www.wsuforensics.org
hansonjb

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2009, 02:29:02 PM »

first--apparently it is the "west" that needs to be changed to northwest rockies. pacific is the name for cal-nev-arizona per adam symonds.

second--kelly, the feature to show unread posts since last visit is helpful (although i'm a little leery of it showing everything i would need to see). here's my take:

1. there are too many sub-forums. net-benefits which is a main conduit for parli debate is not perfect but it works so that you only need to go into 1 forum to see the latest posts that matter. there are other forums but On-Case is the only one you need to read and post to.
http://www.net-benefits.net/

2. i've talked to several people and they just don't have time for the forum. edebate was simple and it was right in your face with posted emails. hs's Cross-X.com definitely gets lots of posts and is generally vibrant BUT for coaches, it is not so hot. too many forums all over the place; too much time; need to get back to work.

i can understand the reticence to have email notifications for each post--but maybe one reminder email each day? okay, i've hit the irritating point where the screen bobbles up and down while i type so i'm going to continue in a moment.

jim hanson Smiley
hansonjb

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2009, 02:34:32 PM »

here are my suggestions then:

1. nw rockies instead of west. Smiley

2. have 1 main forum for tournament info, requests for judges, etc. i suppose splitting into 2, 1 for tournaments, 1 for debate issues would be fine. further sub-dividing not desired at least by me.

3. have additional forums for other "fun" topics.

4. make the "show unread posts since last visit" bigger and much more noticeable. (this could solve suggestion 2 though i have my doubts).

5. have the site email all participants by default once a day to check the site. users could turn this off.

6. do something about how the box for entering text jiggles after you write so many lines of text.

7. i'm still going to think about setting up a new edebate listserv. there is a serious loss of important discussion and connection in the community now.

jim hanson Smiley
kelly young

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2009, 03:04:40 PM »

good suggestions, but I still think creating yet another edebate like thingy is just going to magnify the problem. Right now we have people still using old EDEBATe, new EDEBATE, this forum, planet debate, etc. There needs to be some narrowing of options rather than proliferation.

The "show unread posts" button resolves all the "coaches don't have time (i.e., coaches are too lazy to press one button)" argument. By clicking the "show unread", you don't have to wade through various forums--all updates appear. You can simply click on the ones you care about and ignore the rest. This is what I do every time I log on. It takes about 12 seconds to get up to date and I move back to my busy life. It is actually infinitely faster than have to wade through a full email box like the old EDEBATE system.

Director of Forensics/Associate Professor
Wayne State University
313-577-2953
kelly.young [at] wayne.edu
www.wsuforensics.org
hansonjb

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2009, 03:17:42 PM »

okay. i'll postpone on a new edebate.

as soon as something happens on my suggestions, i will email all coaches and encourage them to join in and to participate on these forums. (and this isn't like 'you have to do it my way' -- just tell me what is going to happen so the email i send is accurate).

jim hanson Smiley
antonucci23

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2009, 04:02:40 AM »

Jim:

I agree with many of your major suggestions.

Details:

"Forum prolif" might be problematic - narrowing the number of different forum headings might be good.  I feel that a good rule of thumb is consolidating down to one page, so there's no initial scroll.

Organizing by district instead of broad geographic region also seems like a good idea.

E-mail sounds like a fine option, but...why should this be "opt-out" instead of "opt-in"?  That component confuses me.

I also don't totally see the need to make the "read unread" more noticeable.  Have you encountered any problems after you know it's there?

Meta:

You should probably initiate a distinct conversation with Jarman and Stables on this.  I've found them extremely receptive to suggestions.

Finally, I'd really urge you not to abandon ship.  We forget the flaws of the old system rather quickly, it seems.  Most importantly, the current electronic architecture allows the ability to achieve everything that you've suggested, within the framework of a democratic, accountable, non-profit organization.  It might not be fixed... but it's FIXABLE and that's the crucial distinction between this platform and others.

I imagine that moving forward as a community on some of these issues might constitute a good topic for future conventions, etc.  Privatizing or fragmenting tends to close off not only the conversation, but also the conversation about the conversation.
stables
Administrator

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2009, 05:40:19 PM »

Jim - please do make suggestions. This site is for the community and input is good. I do think that there are different perspectives o how much of debate traffic should be routed to email and that is why this site exists.

I would ask you to carefully consider the goal of another platform. This is a 'down' time for many folks as finals and the holidays take precedence. In a short period of time we have over 350 members and there is an average of 6-7 new posts per day, even including the slow period. Tournament information is regularly being added and we have a number of job listings. For some of those job ads they have been viewed over 400 times. 

I do not doubt that you can design a very interesting platform,  but I would ask what could be better produced by further splitting apart news and information. If there is something that you would like to see adjusted, please let us know.

Thanks
Gordon

Gordon Stables
Assistant Dean for Student Affairs
Director of Debate & Forensics
Annenberg School for Communication & Journalism
University of Southern California
stables
Administrator

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2009, 05:43:46 PM »

One more specific answer to your note - if you click on the 'View the most recent posts on the forum' ' link at the bottom of the page you get all of the posts, regardless of thread, in one simple list. This is a great way for busy folks to keep up with the traffic.

Gordon

Gordon Stables
BrianDeLong

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2010, 11:26:34 AM »

Gordon, is there anyway you can move the "show all recent posts" link to the top of the page?  Not everyone will go through and read this particular discussion/thread to find the easiest method for reading all recent posts to the forums.  For simplicities sake, it may be a good idea to put it front and center when the website loads.

Brian

stables
Administrator

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2010, 07:57:06 PM »

Good idea. Will contact Jeff and try to have this moved.

Gordon

Gordon Stables
paulmabrey

« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2010, 06:00:57 AM »

I believe the link already exists, "View the most recent posts on the forum." It has been at the top (and in the center) of the forum page for a while now. Or I could not understand Brian's request.
stables
Administrator

« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2010, 10:25:42 AM »

Yes- Jeff did also play around with the options, but anyone can just scroll through the most recent by clicking on the link. Here is the direct item

http://cedadebate.org/forum/recent/

Gordon Stables
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: