College Policy Debate Forums
March 23, 2018, 06:29:44 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
   Home   Help Search Login Register CEDA caselist Debate Results Council of Tournament Directors Edebate Archive  
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 2011 NDT: Some Facts & Figures  (Read 8649 times)
Seth Gannon

« on: April 01, 2011, 04:59:26 PM »

Hey all,

Knowing that others can pay more eloquent tribute to this remarkable senior class and a hard fought NDT, I thought I'd instead contribute some selected facts and figures (yet another awkwardly long CEDA Forums post). I've done this relatively quickly, mostly fleshing out notes I made on Monday (explains my decisions!), so I apologize for any errors. It's not meant to be comprehensive--more a catalog of what occurred to me and others I talked to. With any luck, the rest of you will contribute corrections or other items of interest!

Thanks and congratulations,

-   Seniors debating at the NDT represented twelve top-five first round bids, four Copeland Awards, two NDT top speaker awards, two NDT final rounds, two TOC championships, two TOC top speaker awards, and one NDT championship.

-   Ovais Inamullah and Stephen Weil won their second consecutive Copeland Award, bringing Emory’s total to three. No other partnership has ever held the top first round bid to two NDTs, and only two other individuals have won the top first round in consecutive years. Ovais and Stephen are the sixth and seventh individuals to earn the top first round twice, joining Bradley Ziff (’73, ’75), David Ottoson (’77-78), Ara Lovitt (’92-93), Dan Shalmon (’01, ’04), and Tristan Morales (03, ’05).
-   Stephen Weil participated in 37 tournaments and approximately 380 debates in college. That’s 5700 minutes (just short of four 24-hour days) of his speech time. Of those roughly 380 debates, he won around 320 of them. He lost about 20 negative debates over four years as a 2N, with three different partners. In his last three years, he averaged one neg loss per two tournaments. He finishes his debate career as a two-time Copeland winner, an NDT top speaker, TOC champion, TOC top speaker, NDT finalist, and some stuff I’m forgetting. He won 33 debates at the NDT, more than any other Emory debater.

-   Matt Fisher and Stephanie Spies won the NDT, Northwestern’s fourteenth. They are the only complete team to win both the TOC and the NDT, and they join Andy Ryan, Steven Sklaver, Shaun Martin, Mark Koulogeorge, and John Bredehoft as the only individual debaters to do so. Had Northwestern lost the NDT finals, it would have been FS’s third affirmative loss this season.

-   Stephanie Spies was named top speaker of the 2011 NDT. Unfortunately—in the year 2011!—she is only the third female top speaker, following Patricia Stallings (Houston '57) and Gloria Cabada (Wake Forest '88). Put another way, Stephanie is the first female top speaker at the NDT since she was born.

-   Of the 32 debaters who qualified for Monday, just over one quarter were women: Ryan Beiermeister, Kathy Bowen, Mary Gregg, Peyton Lee, Maria Liu, Leah Moczulski, Ashley Morgan, Ana Nikolic, and Stephanie Spies.

-   Stephanie joins Holt Spicer (’51), James Wilson (’52), William Snyder (’66), Elliot Minceberg (’73), Lenny Gail (’84), Lyn Robbins (’87), Michael Gottlieb (’98-99), and Andy Ryan (’01) as top speakers who won the tournament in the same year.

-   Here’s a good one for the dorkiest 1% of you: Who was the last person to win the NDT top speaker award while debating with his or her high school partner?

-   Over four years, Matt Fisher won 40 debates at the NDT. This last weekend, he passed Sean McCaffity (36) for the most individual victories in NDT history. Fisher is second in victories per NDT at 10, behind Tristan Morales at 11.3 (34 in 3 years). All three Wildcats were present for Monday night’s final round.

-   While getting his 40 wins, Matt hit the cycle: 2008 quarters, 2009 semis, 2010 finals, 2011 championship. To demonstrate just how many wins 40 is, consider this: Layne Kirshon was 8-0 and in the semis of the NDT as a freshman, which—with 10 wins—puts him on course to match Matt.

-   Harvard’s Alex Parkinson and Eli Jacobs were the tournament’s second and third speakers. Harvard JP joins Northwestern Branson/Morales and Wake Forest Atchison/Lotz as the only teams in the last decade to both earn top three speaker awards.

-   For the second year in a row, the top 16 teams in the coaches’ poll were the 16 first round teams, even though the last poll precedes the last major. Harvard JP spent the most time of any team this year atop the coaches’ poll. They continued to win a ton of debates, despite the metaphorical bulls eye on their back.

-   Jacob Polin reached Monday of the NDT four times, with three different partners and two different head coaches. As a freshman 2N, he won his first NDT elim debate on the neg, against one of the year’s best teams. He beat out the defending NDT champion from Emory in a hotly contested Copeland race that left the rest of us in their wake, and—almost as impressive—he got Burshteyn to the start of most rounds on time.  At this year’s NDT, Jacob tied Dan Shalmon for most NDT victories by a Berkeley debater, at 30.

-   Like Jacob, Kathy Bowen earned a top 10 speaker award at this year’s NDT. Despite switching speaker positions to do so, Kathy has won over 150 debates in the last two years alone.

-   Northwestern FS was top seed for the second year in a row. Only two other teams in NDT history— Augustana Feldhake/Godfrey (’75-76) and Dartmouth Gail/Koulogeorge (’83-84)—have accomplished this feat. (All three of these teams had a current or former Augustana coach.) Northwestern FS is also one of three complete teams to have their names on both NDT traveling trophies.

-   The only other top seed to win the NDT in the last decade—MSU Burke/Harrigan—was also the #3 first round team. (EDIT: I guess Kansas BJ was the top seed in '09. Forgot that part, haha.)

-   The University of Michigan made the NDT Final Four for the eighth time, and the second time in four years. In those four years, only Northwestern and Wake Forest have seen the semifinals as often. Maria Liu and Edmund Zagorin are one of fewer than 20 teams in NDT history to win 20 or more NDT debates together. Michigan LZ made the elim debates three years in a row, their NDT result improving each year.

-   Oklahoma's RJ Giglio and Nick Watts—a top five first round team—are also on 20+ wins list. In 4 NDTs together, they shared 25 victories, tying them with Wake Forest Carroll and Hall for seventh most wins at the NDT by a single team. They twice reached Monday of the NDT, including their finish in the quarterfinals this year.

-   By ballot count, the Kansas team of Sean Kennedy and Dylan Quigley gave the eventual champions their closest debate. Kansas KQ attended three NDTs, twice clearing in the top half of the bracket and making it to Monday.  Sean and Dylan had a lot to live up to as the KU top team, and they’ve been great and kept alive an impressive NDT streak (see below).

-   John Cook and Ashley Morgan from Baylor were in the quarters, with elim wins over very strong teams from Towson and Samford. By seed, this is the strongest run to the quarters since Towson CL in 2009 and Dartmouth BM in 2006—both, like Baylor, excellent teams whose runs were no great surprise.

-   Three years into the new administration, Northwestern has won the Copeland or debated in the NDT final round each year. Three teams of Wildcats debated on the last day of the season, including three seniors (Mary, Matt, Stephanie) and four women (Mary, Peyton, Ryan, and Stephanie). No matter how much winning they do, however, they’ll never escape this:

-   Ryan Beiermeister and Layne Kirshon had a very strong year and an impressive run at the NDT. Only four times has any school had two teams in opposite NDT semis debates:
4. Dartmouth, 1990: GK loses in semis (3-2). AY loses in semis (5-0). 4 ballots from closeout.
3. Dartmouth, 1987: BM wins semis (4-1), loses in finals. MW loses in semis (5-0). 3 ballots from closeout.
2. Kansas, 1970: JM wins semis (4-1), wins NDT. BP loses in semis (4-1). 2 ballots from a closeout.
1. Northwestern, 2011: FS wins semis (5-0), wins NDT. BK loses in semis (4-1). 2 ballots from closeout.

-   Dan Bagwell and Logan Gramzinski defeated first round bid teams in round eight and the doubles to post Samford’s best NDT result since 1986. Both those debates, which I was lucky enough to watch, were excellent and extremely close. (If you need someone to give a cross-ex lecture at your workshop this summer, by the way, you should hire Logan.)

-   Georgetown had three freshmen in the elims. I can’t think of the last time this happened, and it’s a hard thing to check quickly. If anyone can think of the last time it’s been done, that would be much appreciated.  I believe that Day and Markoff are the first team of two freshmen to receive a first round bid and clear at the NDT.

-   Seven schools have Sweet Sixteen streaks that survived the 2011 NDT. I believe the record is 30 consecutive appearances in the octafinals (Dartmouth, 1980-2009). The current streaks are:
Northwestern – 20
Emory – 16
Berkeley – 11
Harvard – 8
Wake Forest – 8
Kansas – 7
UT Dallas – 2

-   If you’ve somehow made it to the end, thankfully it’s time for the offseason! If you’re wondering how to use your free time and good weather, these two are always accepting challengers:
« Last Edit: April 01, 2011, 09:14:15 PM by Seth Gannon » Logged

« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2011, 12:02:14 AM »

That post was awesome!

I'm obviously biased, but I was super impressed that Andrew Baker from UT-Dallas went 8-0 on the Neg in the prelims his last two NDTs.  

Scary addition -- imagine this list with the accomplishments of 2007 college entrants Eric Lanning and Daniel Strauss added!

It was really special debating, judging, coaching and getting to know the class of 2011. Thanks for all the unforgettable moments. Your class really pushed the curve and it was awesome to be a part of.

This now brings me to the important matter of wondering why those who missed certain tournaments couldn't have done that in 09-10... Smiley
« Last Edit: April 02, 2011, 12:05:26 AM by brubaie » Logged
Kris Willis

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2011, 07:43:27 AM »

This is some awesome stuff! You should forever serve as Historian for College Debate!
Seth Gannon

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2011, 10:08:19 AM »

Quick reply on my way out the door to see my Braves take the series from the Nats! Although it's not exactly baseball weather around here...

Brian -- I didn't know the 8-0 stat, but what an impressive few years you all have had at UTD. One of seven schools with an active streak on Monday... and this year, all while hosting the tournament!

Kris -- You're too kind. The community owes a big debt to Bill Southworth for keeping all the data straight all these years, which makes something like this pretty easy, honestly. If he hadn't kept up with it, it'd be nearly impossible to go back now and sort it all out.
Seth Gannon

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2011, 04:41:55 PM »

Also worth noting is that another team of two first year debaters cleared--Jessica Hockensmith and Kaavya Ramesh from MSU. They were one of two teams of two women in the elims this year, along with Mary and Peyton from Northwestern.

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2011, 08:28:42 PM »

perhaps the most interesting 2011 NDT fact: Emporia WW is awesome. they are the only team in history to be undefeated in this category. So, take that.

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2011, 01:24:50 PM »

Stephanie Spies was named top speaker of the 2011 NDT. Unfortunately—in the year 2011!—she is only the third female top speaker, following Patricia Stallings (Houston '57) and Gloria Cabada (Wake Forest '88). Put another way, Stephanie is the first female top speaker at the NDT since she was born.

stephanie also set a record this year receiving 698.0 total speaker points.
long live the queen.
Pages: [1]
Jump to: