College Policy Debate Forums
October 22, 2018, 11:55:11 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: IF YOU EXPERIENCE PROBLEMS WITH THE SITE, INCLUDING LOGGING IN, PLEASE LET ME KNOW IMMEDIATELY.  EMAIL ME DIRECTLY OR USE THE CONTACT US LINK AT THE TOP.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 2012 JV/Novice Nats (Eastern version)  (Read 2451 times)
neil berch

« on: May 05, 2011, 08:59:44 AM »

Hi, everyone!  I hope your semesters are winding down well, and that you're enjoying a little downtime before the topic area is announced.

This past March, due to uncertainty in their coaching situation, our good friends at Towson, asked WVU if we would step in to host JV/Novice Nats (Eastern version) in 2012 and perhaps beyond.  I have spent much of the past two months attempting to overcome bureaucratic hurdles and negotiating with the hotel.  I am now pleased to announce that West Virginia University will host JV/Novice Nats on the regular weekend, March 3-5, 2012.  If Towson is able to host in 2013, the event will return there.  If not, we'll cross that bridge when we come to it.  A few notes about the tournament:

1.  We will do our best to replicate what Towson does.  We think Towson does a great job, and we will generally try to carry on with what they do.  This means we will award Westerwald Pottery (the Westerwald studio and showroom is actually less than an hour from Morgantown), we will have 7 rounds, we will have Monday's outrounds at the hotel, we will have a 3 person tab team in an open tabroom (we'll be asking last year's tab team, including me, to return, but that remains to be seen), we will use the same eligibility requirements that Towson has used the past few years, we will have awards for coaches of teams making it as far as semifinals, and we will have a judging award.  Two changes (there could be more later):  the judging award will be tabulated differently unless Chris Baron (the guru) comes up and is willing to use his patented methodology, and we will award the John Jacobsohn Memorial Award to a person or persons in our community who had provided significant service.

2.  The hotel will be the magnificent Waterfront Place Hotel (the one we used when we hosted in 2007).  They provide many amenities, and they will offer a rate of $99 per night for up to 4 in a room.

3.  The format will be the same that Towson used this year.  There will be 4 rounds on campus on Saturday (the first two preset, with the others straight power-paired high-low within brackets), 3 prelims on Sunday on campus (all straight power-paired high-low within brackets), followed by Doubles on campus on Sunday evening.  All remaining rounds will be at the hotel on Monday, with awards coming after Octafinals.

4.  Fees:  unfortunately, there will have to be some (unlike the other times that we hosted with no fees).  They are up in the air, but they will be no more than $90 per team.  A likely scheme is that we will charge either $90 per team with the first two teams for each school being free, or we will charge around $65 per team, with the first team from each school being free.  This would bring the average entry fee for a school bringing 4 teams to around $45 per team.  And it will also mean that smaller programs may pay little or nothing in the way of fees (in addition to the CEDA new program rules).

5.  Many WVU debaters will compete in the tournament.  Because of this, we will be relatively short on people to work on food and ballot running (hopefully, the latter will be less important as online ballot entry becomes the norm).  Thus, we will take three measures to ensure that we have enough person power to run the tournament.  First, we will offer any school that brings a tournament worker an additional free entry.  Second, we will ask judges who are unplaceable to help out with ballot running, etc.  Finally, we will have folks go to the Mountainlair Food Court for lunch on Saturday (Burger King, Chick Fil' A, Quizno's, Sbarro's, etc., all open on Saturday for lunch, with some vegan options).  That is reflected in lower-than-normal fees.

6.  Thus, we will offer breakfast on Saturday and Sunday, lunch on Sunday, extremely plentiful snacks throughout both days, and very light refreshments at the hotel on Monday.

7.  Finally, some who have attended the 2006 or 2007 JV/Novice Nats may have concerns about our campus topography.  I have negotiated in vain over the past two months, but WVU authorities have not agreed to my request to flatten the campus.  However, there are significant improvements since 2007.  Reconstruction of one of our key buildings, complete with two high-speed elevators, will significantly (by more than 50%!!) reduce the need for carrying tubs (for those who still have them) up and down steps.  We will most likely be using 5 contiguous buildings, with each division in a cluster of 2-3 buildings.  They are closer together than the set we used the last time we hosted JV/Novice Nats.

We are excited to host and to continue the traditions of this great tournament.  We will try to live up to the trust that the Towson program has placed in us, and we hope to see all of you in Morgantown next March!--Neil

--Neil Berch
West Virginia University
neil berch

« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2012, 09:26:40 PM »

Please note the following:
1.  I have been in the hospital last 3 weeks, so invite is slowed.
2.  As noted in previous email, hotel is Waterfront Place (contact is Kay Fanok), tourney is 7 rounds (4 on Saturday, 3 on Sunday, followed by outrounds), all outrounds at hotel on Monday.
3.  Contrary to previous email, WVU will be offering its usual "hospitality", meaning that entry will be free (zero, zilch). 
4.  I'm still on leave, but you can email me at other email (berchnorto@msn.com) with questions, and I'll get back to you ASAP.  Thanks for your patience.--Neil
--Neil Berch
West Virginia University
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: