College Policy Debate Forums
December 16, 2018, 09:42:42 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: IF YOU EXPERIENCE PROBLEMS WITH THE SITE, INCLUDING LOGGING IN, PLEASE LET ME KNOW IMMEDIATELY.  EMAIL ME DIRECTLY OR USE THE CONTACT US LINK AT THE TOP.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Flip cameras  (Read 2331 times)
Adam Symonds

« on: May 11, 2011, 12:09:14 AM »

I've seen some folks using the Flip cameras - I'm wondering for those of you that have used them, do the 8GB 2 hour cameras regularly capture the whole debate? Does it require stopping at the end of each speech to make sure that it all fits in time?

Any backchannels much appreciated.

asymonds gmail.com

hansonjb

« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2011, 12:33:34 AM »

hey adam

i heard that the flip is stopping production. doublecheck that but i just read that today at some tech site i look at periodically.

the kodak zi8 (or whatever its current version) does two things better than at least the 1 year old flips: --put in a flash that is up to 32gb so 2 hours of hd fits easily (recording without stopping is no problem) -- has an ac adaptor so plug in and don't worry about battery life.

our main issue with the video 'taping' has been getting the students (and even me) to do it. you just kind of forget to get it going. Smiley

jim hanson Smiley
seattle u debate forensics speech rhetoric
PFDebate

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2011, 06:56:01 AM »

Another big advantage of the Zi8 is that it is the only video camera in this category that supports an external microphone. That means you could use an inexpensive lavalier microphone and greatly improve the sound quality.

You can hear the difference in sound quality here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHfFUBR0Rzk

This is a nice review of the Zi8:
http://podcastanswerman.com/kodak-zi8-review/

Bob Jordan
PFDebate

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2011, 02:10:23 PM »

BTW, on Kodak.com the Zi8 is listed as a discontinued item although I still see it for sale in other places. It is $115 at Amazon.

The Kodak Playtouch (Zi10) appears to be the successor. A comparison can be found here:
http://www.geekazine.com/video-pod/kodak-playtouch-kodak-zi8-zi10-video-cameras-side-by-side

The Playtouch still has the stereo mic/headphone jack. It is currently on Amazon the red & silver versions are $90, the teal is $160, and the black is $180.
Adam Symonds

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2011, 11:50:53 PM »

hey adam

i heard that the flip is stopping production. doublecheck that but i just read that today at some tech site i look at periodically.

the kodak zi8 (or whatever its current version) does two things better than at least the 1 year old flips: --put in a flash that is up to 32gb so 2 hours of hd fits easily (recording without stopping is no problem) -- has an ac adaptor so plug in and don't worry about battery life.

our main issue with the video 'taping' has been getting the students (and even me) to do it. you just kind of forget to get it going. Smiley

Getting the students to remember has been my biggest issue as well.

Thanks both for the Zi8 tip -- that and the Zi10 look like what I was wanting.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: