College Policy Debate Forums
June 20, 2018, 08:42:49 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: IF YOU EXPERIENCE PROBLEMS WITH THE SITE, INCLUDING LOGGING IN, PLEASE LET ME KNOW IMMEDIATELY.  EMAIL ME DIRECTLY OR USE THE CONTACT US LINK AT THE TOP.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Oral History: Stories from the Norfolk Prison Debate Team  (Read 2047 times)
AdamBright

« on: May 12, 2011, 10:26:54 AM »

College Policy Debate Forum,

I'm part of a team that's spent the last year working on an oral history of an incredible debate team based in Norfolk Prison in Massachusetts. They regularly defeated many of the top college opponents in the country (and around the world). We're holding our first listening event in the town of Norfolk on May 26th. I've included information about the event below. We'd love to have some debaters there. Of course, if you ever debated Norfolk or attended one of the debates or know someone who did, please email me directly. We'd love to include your story in the oral history.

Thanks,
Adam

---------------------------------------

Please mark your calendars for the upcoming listening event:

STORIES FROM THE NORFOLK PRISON DEBATE TEAM

From the '30s to the '70s, one of the most formidable teams on the college debating circuit was made up of a group of inmates from the Norfolk Prison Colony. Norfolk was founded in 1927 as the nation's first "community prison" and in many ways resembled a university campus: men had their own rooms, windows without bars, a choice of vocations, college-level courses, and the time to pursue creative and intellectual endeavors. The debate club was one of the prison's most successful programs. Over forty years the Norfolk debaters amassed an outstanding record of victories over Harvard, Yale, Princeton, Dartmouth, West Point, Oxford, and many other top college opponents. This oral history will represent the first in-depth account of the team's successes, motivations, and challenges, as told by former Norfolk debaters, college opponents, coaches, educators, and judges.

Join us at the public premiere of this oral history, featuring selections from interviews collected over the past year. The audio presentation will be followed by a community discussion. Coffee and cake will be served. Presented in partnership with the Norfolk Historical Commission.

Thursday, May 26, 2011
7pm
Norfolk Town Library
Norfolk, MA

This project is funded in part by a grant from Mass Humanities. www.masshumanities.org

For more information about the project, read our recent essay in The Public Humanist. http://www.valleyadvocate.com/blogs/home.cfm?aid=13417

Please feel free to forward this announcement on to friends and colleagues.

Contact: Adam Bright six four six- two two six - seven oh seven oh
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: