College Policy Debate Forums
November 23, 2017, 09:17:23 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: IF YOU EXPERIENCE PROBLEMS WITH THE SITE, INCLUDING LOGGING IN, PLEASE LET ME KNOW IMMEDIATELY.  EMAIL ME DIRECTLY OR USE THE CONTACT US LINK AT THE TOP.

Home   Help Search Login Register CEDA caselist Debate Results Council of Tournament Directors Edebate Archive  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Wording Papers - Core Countries  (Read 2813 times)
stables
Administrator

« on: June 08, 2011, 03:20:27 AM »

Attached for the following countries.

Bahrain
Egypt
Jordan
Libya
Oman
Syria
Tunisia
Yemen

* Core Countries 3.0.pdf (969.84 KB - downloaded 659 times.)
* Bahrain.pdf (119.89 KB - downloaded 421 times.)
« Last Edit: June 08, 2011, 03:22:03 AM by stables » Logged

Gordon Stables
Assistant Dean for Student Affairs
Director of Debate & Forensics
Annenberg School for Communication & Journalism
University of Southern California
gonzo405

« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2011, 08:16:54 PM »

I think the core countries paper is writing off Jordan a little too easily as a country. I've been doing some general research and I've found several mechanisms for change in Jordan. For example, here's a paper advocating election assistance:

Ana Echagüe and Hélène Michou 5/1 (Researchers) 2011: Assessing Democracy Assistance: Jordan. www.fride.org/download/Assessing_Democracy_Assistance_Jordan.pdf

The thing about this paper that I like is that it gives shout outs to USAID specifically and how it ought to be shifting its policies and it also talks about the fact that there is a large palestinian refugee population that is underrepresented in politics. I think one of the major advantages of choosing Jordan as a country is that it brings the Palestinian question to the forefront without having to list the Palestinian territories in the resolution. I think we all agree that the palestinian question is an important regional factor that needs to be addressed in U.S. policy, and Jordan is a country that allows us to get at it through the lens of the Arab Spring rather than the generic one of the Arab-Israeli peace process. This paper also talks about NGOs and the possible ways they can impact Jordan.
Trigaux

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2011, 10:33:06 PM »

I agree that countries like Jordan should be included in the topic.
A--we are including all of its neighbors, so leaving Jordan purely as negative ground feels silly to me
B--Jordan has some of the best US key warrants that I've found in my research so far. The U.S. is actually the primary actor for Jordan, and has a wide array of interests in the area. Jordan is also our only dependable ally in the region.
C--Jordan gives good internal links to relations arguments that have uniqueness--they are our ally now, but
D--A lot of folks are concerned that Jordan isn't "Arab Spring" enough to be in the topic--to this I have a few responses.

1. Syria and Bahrain weren't very involved in the early stages of the Arab Spring, but as the movement has spread, they are now key ground. With months til the first tournament, I believe that disabling Jordanian affirmatives is not prudent.
2. Jordan is an autocratic government ruled by a king and dominated by a tribal structure, and its substantial Palestinian population. Not only does this give excellent internal Jordanian politics arguments, but it also diversifies the topic from the U.S. assisting rebellious, sometimes leaderless groups, to assisting the people of a country in negotiating for more freedoms, or the government of a nation to reform without collapsing. This is the same situation as Bahrain, so the existence of a functioning government alone can't be used as a reason to exclude.
3. Just because a nation isn't experiencing a full revolution doesn't mean that it is not part of the core principal of providing democracy assistance/promotion in the Middle East and North Africa. Arab Spring-ness isn't a reason to disqualify. We should look to nations whose relations are important to ours--like Jordan, and benefit from learning about one of our more involved international partnerships
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: