College Policy Debate Forums
June 22, 2018, 06:12:22 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: IF YOU EXPERIENCE PROBLEMS WITH THE SITE, INCLUDING LOGGING IN, PLEASE LET ME KNOW IMMEDIATELY.  EMAIL ME DIRECTLY OR USE THE CONTACT US LINK AT THE TOP.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: A Guide for Novices Looking to Debate in Varsity  (Read 2573 times)
CameronNorris

« on: June 15, 2011, 09:43:57 PM »

As someone who's personally gone through the process, I decided to write down some advice for debaters that came in with no prior high school experience who want to transition from the novice division to varsity.  In particular, the paper is addressed to people who have debated a year in the college novice division and fell so in love with debate that they want to reach the upper echelons of the activity (e.g., qualling to the NDT, breaking at CEDA, getting a 1st round...).  I also hope that coaches will find it useful in helping to inspire and guide their younger debaters throughout their college careers.

I think novice debate is an excellent part of our activity and should be promoted as much as possible.  It gives students who missed out on high school policy debate the opportunity to benefit from and influence this wonderful activity.

Any feedback or criticism is much appreciated.  Feel free to post it here publicly, or email me privately (cameron.t.norris@vanderbilt.edu).

Thanks!  The paper is attached.

* Novice Transition -- Cameron Norris.doc (64.5 KB - downloaded 712 times.)
Matt Struth

« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2011, 07:15:52 PM »

Thanks for doing this Cameron. I haven't had time to read the whole thing but it looks good. I'll be sure to share it with my team.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: