College Policy Debate Forums
September 26, 2018, 12:33:25 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: IF YOU EXPERIENCE PROBLEMS WITH THE SITE, INCLUDING LOGGING IN, PLEASE LET ME KNOW IMMEDIATELY.  EMAIL ME DIRECTLY OR USE THE CONTACT US LINK AT THE TOP.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11
  Print  
Author Topic: Scott Deatherage  (Read 97594 times)
mburshteyn

« Reply #15 on: December 25, 2009, 09:46:37 AM »

Today the gentlest giant moved on from this world. His passion and spirit was bigger than the game, and larger than life. The image of the Duck pacing and rocking out with his giant headphones at more than one NDT will not die. The methodical sound of a stapler tapping (ok, it was banging ☺) on a desk at Northwestern to demonstrate that we could speak faster than the self-imposed limits of our assumptions will not leave memory. Duck personified a love of debate that was latent in many, and he brought it to the fore. Thank you for every single moment. Thank you for being a role model, an inspiration, a teacher, and a friend. Thank you that in your all too brief time, you found it within you to light a fire across generations.

Here are the words that sparked a life-long passion for me:

1)   Chose. No matter the speech or the argument
2)   Offense.  Don’t ask, argue. Anticipate your opponents warrant and undermine its credibility before they develop an dexplanationn in the first instance – the 1ac is about the 2AR – don’t answer the argument as it is but as it will be
3)   Clash – the most difficult. Competing credibilities. One argument – the nexus question
4)   Control the ground of the debate –=– its always about the link The link is the springboard from which virtually every objection of your opponent is to be addressed. If the negative says alternative causality – answer it with a robust defense of your link and solvency arguments. Frame uniqueness arguments in terms of linkage – say tpa is key to us leadership – say the plan derails that repair
5)   Cover smart – technique is not debating. Form can never substitute for substance. Coverage is about CHOOSING the RIGHT arguments. Knowing where the nexis question is located. Rebuttle thinking should begin and end with an anticipation of where the nexus question lies
6)   Make every argument count. If you cannot visualize how a particular argument can help in the last rebuttal, don’t invest in it. The best strategies are SEAMLESS. WHERE EACH ARGUMENT IN THE 1NC HAS A REALTIONSHIP TO EVERY OTHER 1NC ARGUMENT. It makes it the hardest for the affirmative – a single mistake ca n determine the outcome
7)   Anticipate and know – he knew where the debate would be better than the other team knew where the debate would be. He knew more about their arguments than they did. He figured out where the opposition desired to be in their last rebuttal
“every day you must do better than the day before”
“win or lose, you will never regret working hard, making sacrifices, being disciplined, or focusing too much. Success is measured by what we have done to prepare for competition”
Cool   style and substance are fundamentally inseperable. The three modes of proof = ethos, credibility, logos. Ethos is the most important – the credibility of your argument is most important. The way the judge feels about your argument is important. Juddges want to vote for strong, well reasoned, well evidenced arguments – but they are not simply machines.  – its not an information processessor – what the judge thinks and feels is important – make thejudge want to vote for you
9)   judge the debate – think about why your opponent has won the debate. Devote the first 30 seconds of 2nr and 2ar prep time to tthis – if the judge is going to resolve the nexus question, which side will it go towards- figure out the strength of your opponents position on the nexus question
a)   give the other team credit. No, you are NOT ahead on every single answer – that’s the solution to the black, white, grey conundrum
b)   think about the 1ac – it is a key that unlocks thesecrets that are code for the 2ar
c)   2NR is NOT about answering the 1ar – It is about answering the 2AR. Think about how 1ar arguments will flow into paragraphs and establish a world for the 2ar.

10)   Narrate the debate. Write a ballotr for the judge. It’s a substantive process of argument and evidence comparison. The narration weaves back and forth between the offensive link argumenttce between what you define and the defensive arguments of what the other team defines – evidencec comparison is about plagerize – the process of comparison  is not the process of citations or claims, it’s a comparison process that tests the competing credibility of warrents.  – keep comparisons centered on the nexus question
11)    Teamwork – Michael jorden “the talent wins games, but the teamwork wins championships” “the past is relevant only insofar as it informs the future” (the duck) pat rielly “the truly great actors go out of their way to ensure that supporting actors are brilliant because they want the play to be great”Jaime coven “it is important to respect both your teammates and your opponents. Friendships can make victory last forever” phil Jackson “ we alone can destroy our championship opportunity
12)   prepare to win . its about the details. Its about brainstorming. Strategizing. Research. Practice. Block writing. Strategies. Preparing to win at the championship level means taking EVERY REALISTIC THREAT SERIOUSLY – the teams, the arguments, the strategies, their options. It means babysitting the judges – that they know you are there and you care. It means managing preparation effectively. It means in critical situations – while most competitors in the tournament are busy hobnobbing, the critical teams are preparing for critical instances. At crunch time, you have to have focus. It means preparing for the next debate effectively – especially on elim day. ONE DEBATE AT A TIME. We didn’t approach it as lets be 13 and one in December, we approached it as lets get this game, lets get this game. It means discipline, focus, and concentration. All must rise to a level unlike that you had before. “confidence is only borne out of one thing – demonstrated ability. You cannot dream up confidence. You cannot fabricate it. You cannot wish it. You have to earn it” YOU HAVE NO BIRTHRIGHT BUT YOU MUST EARN YOUR SUCCESS the octofinals is NOT round seven. THERE ARE NO AWARDS FOR FIRST PLACE ON DAY ONE – THEY ARE GIVEN ON THE LAST DAY, NOT THE FIRST DAY
13)   Focus and concentration – these are the keys. Together they unlock the secrets. The secrets are the fundamentals – choice, clash, offense, before the rest. Luganis “ you always want your opponent to have a carreer day. Because that will elevate your performance to a level that you did not know you were capable of” chris evret “ single mindedness, that’s what it takes to be a champion.”
14)   Greatness. Only two names are engraved on whatever trophy there is in question. Hundreds have been great – its about commitment, its about character – its about hard work and team work.
  Luganis – “victory is not necessarily a gold medal”
Carl lewis – “its all about the journey, its not about the outcome”

Alexander Mikeljohn – American philosopher of 20th century – debaters rock

Quote on the wall at UNI – never be afraid of taking calculated risks in your work and your personal life. Be willing to work harder and longer at your craft than the next person. Never settle for being good at something when you can be great learn to b e hard on yourself when you didn’t give it your best and easy on yourself when your best isn’t quite good enough. Know that failing means only that you did not achieve your desired goal. That the sooner you take the word cant out of your vocabulary the better off your life will be

SherryHall

« Reply #16 on: December 25, 2009, 10:34:21 AM »

From Jonathan Paul:

"Never settle for being good at something when you can be great. Learn to be hard on yourself when you didn’t give it your best and easy on yourself when your best isn’t quite good enough." I'll miss you, Duck.
lukephill

« Reply #17 on: December 25, 2009, 10:43:18 AM »

From Christopher Robins:

If I could talk to Duck one last time I'd tell him: "Words cannot express how much you have enriched my life. Thank you for your love, encouragement, and dedication. WILDCATS FIGHT AND WILDCATS WIN. Love you Duck.

Larry Scott Deatherage - A great mind, a better coach, and an even better friend
lukephill

« Reply #18 on: December 25, 2009, 10:44:16 AM »

From John Warden:

If I could talk to Duck one last time I'd tell him: "Thank you for all the time I got to spend with you. And, you should know that your legacy at Northwestern and throughout debate will live on forever."
lukephill

« Reply #19 on: December 25, 2009, 10:45:25 AM »

From Caitlin Bruce:

sad day. misses duck. wants to have another fight about what exactly a "kritiker" does say and hearty agreement about the yankees. much love to his family and the nu debate family.
lukephill

« Reply #20 on: December 25, 2009, 10:47:18 AM »

From Gregory Friend:

duck always used to say debate saved him. looking back, I think I'm not alone when I say that often it seemed like duck saved me. As he used to say, "once in the family, always in the family" - words we should all live by, just as he did.
SherryHall

« Reply #21 on: December 25, 2009, 11:12:31 AM »

From David Coale:

says farewell to Duck. May his intellect and great heart live on in all of us.
SherryHall

« Reply #22 on: December 25, 2009, 11:43:03 AM »

Gabe Murillo wrote:

The words and actions of the Duck inspired us all. I remember being very happy to have him receive George's coaching award, and being even happier with the thoughts he shared in his acceptance speech. He will be missed. My thoughts are with those close to him.
SherryHall

« Reply #23 on: December 25, 2009, 12:05:19 PM »

From Laura Ann Switzer:

"The Duck left such a remarkable legacy in all the lives that he mentored and touched with his brilliance and dedication to the art and skill that is debate.  He instilled in all his students a love and respect for the spoken word that you all, who were his students I am confident, will continue his passsion  in his stead. I know that he will be greatly missed, but remember all the joy that he brought to your hearts and minds and his constant challenge to you all to be the best at your craft.  God bless."
SherryHall

« Reply #24 on: December 25, 2009, 01:20:19 PM »

From Josh Branson:

So long coach. I'm sure you've already tracked down Ross and have started an early Happy Hour, replete with discussions of the heaven edition of the NYFT, rehashing some old debates, and lots of Makers on the rocks.
SherryHall

« Reply #25 on: December 25, 2009, 01:22:27 PM »

From Alex Berger:
Mourns the passing of another legend in the college debate community. More than anything, I'm struck by how much my experience and DNA as a debater was influenced by Duck despite never having debated for him or gone to NU's camp. I came into college debate trying to emulate his debaters, was coached by his alums, and... engaged in the most rewading competition of my life against his teams. He will sorely missed.

SherryHall

« Reply #26 on: December 25, 2009, 01:24:02 PM »

From Jim Lux:
In some corner of heaven, Coach's Cafe, Davis St. and Wise Fool's are open serving Diet Coke and steak fajitas. The 'Boys are trouncing the 'Skins and Gottleib/Shalmon (neg) are facing Ryan/Morales in the Friendswood Suite. Audible music and conditionality are gone. On Earth, his many friends are cherishing his memory.... Merry Christmas to all those friends, and many thanks to all who were with him in his final days.
lukephill

« Reply #27 on: December 25, 2009, 01:42:50 PM »

From Latonya Starks:
Good Morning and Merry Christmas to those of you who celebrate the holiday -- happy holidays to all.

The sad news of Duck's passing is now official.  I do not know all the details, but I do know that he passed this morning. 

I know this news has the potential to ruin what should be a wonderful day and time of celebration for us all.  Please do not let it do so.  In my religion -- which has its roots in the Baptist, African-American churches of the South -- we try not to view death as a loss, but as a person 'going home' or moving on to a better place.  We are the ones who have been blessed to have had Duck in our lives, and he did indeed change our lives forever.  Whether you subscribe to a spiritual outlook on life or not, I believe that we can all find some solace in knowing that our beloved Duck is now at peace and that it was our loving thoughts, prayers, and words that brought him such comfort.  He left us with the same grace and strength which he exemplified in a life well-lived.

May he rest in peace and may we go forward knowing that his legacy will live on forever in us.  Let future generations of Northwestern debaters know the importance of the four pillars: character, commitment, team work and hard work, and let his light shine through you in all you say and do.  Dare to strive for the greatness he both sought and attained so often.

I love you all and I wish you happy and joyous holidays.

In the words of Duck, "See ya, bye".

Peace and joy,

LaTonya
jbhoe

« Reply #28 on: December 25, 2009, 02:15:21 PM »

Duck,

Thanks for the hundred times you pulled me aside after judging my teams and talked to me about what I should work with them on.  Thanks for giving me so many encouraging words and so much support as a young coach.  Thanks for being so gracious the few times my teams were able to beat yours.  Thanks for giving me so much great coaching and life advice.  Thanks for letting me inside the intimidating outer personna to see the truly good person inside.  Thanks for being a mentor to me in the best sense of the term.  Nobody ever did it better.  Thanks especially for caring about the larger debate community and those that should be part of the community but needed to be included.

Go in peace, you left the world a better place,

Josh

lukephill

« Reply #29 on: December 25, 2009, 02:24:07 PM »

From Jon Blough

The values that the Duck passed down will continue to profoundly impact both my debate activities and how I approach everyday life. His commitment and passion for coaching was an inspiration and I consider myself blessed to have debated for him even if only for a year. Though he is no longer with us, what he gave to the debate community will continue to guide us for many years to come.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11
  Print  

Jump to: