College Policy Debate Forums
June 24, 2018, 04:13:14 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: IF YOU EXPERIENCE PROBLEMS WITH THE SITE, INCLUDING LOGGING IN, PLEASE LET ME KNOW IMMEDIATELY.  EMAIL ME DIRECTLY OR USE THE CONTACT US LINK AT THE TOP.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Graduate Assistant Poisition at Univ. of Nothern Iowa.  (Read 2090 times)
rtews

« on: October 16, 2011, 09:51:25 AM »

The University of Northern Iowa Forensics Team is looking for debate M.A. students for the 2012-13 school year. The UNI forensics team enjoys broad departmental support, allowing students to develop their coaching, teaching, and scholarly skills. The Communication Studies Masters program typically has 40-50 active students, including forensics GTAs. As a GTA, you would have many opportunities to work with students, travel, and help run tournaments, all while earning a M.A. in a two-year program.

Our Department of Communication Studies offers an array of specialties: Communication Education, General Communication, Mass Communication, Organizational Communication, Organizational Communication-Human Resources, Performance Studies, and Public Relations. The department is particularly strong in feminist theory and gender studies, media studies, and performance studies. Nationally recognized scholars in visual rhetoric, pedagogy, and theatre of the oppressed and feminist theory are available for students to work with.

There are 22 graduate faculty members, and because the M.A. is the terminal degree in the department, you would have the opportunity to work closely with these professors. Many forensic GTAs leave the program with publications because of the support of faculty. The department includes many former coaches and competitors, as well as the Director of the National Debate Tournament, Dr. John Fritch.

As a UNI Forensics GTA, you would receive a full tuition waiver, plus a competitive stipend, as well as having teaching opportunities. GTAs travel to two tournaments per semester and can volunteer for up to four, and help with on campus events and tournaments. Graduate students devote 10 hours a week to team meetings, coaching, and staff meetings. Graduate students meet with the Director of Forensics on a regular basis to develop a mentoring relationship on balancing coaching, school, and work.

Recent UNI M.A. graduates have been quite successful. Several graduates are in collegiate coaching positions and Ph.D. programs (Louisiana State University, Georgia State, Howard University). If you have questions about the debate team ore specifics of the program, please contact Richard Tews, Director of Debate at richard.tews@uni.edu.

The deadline for applications is February 1, 2012. 

We also have information on our departmental website about our graduate program, which you can access at http://www.uni.edu/commstudies/. There, you will find information about faculty, programs of study, and assistantships. If you have questions about the graduate college, please consult their website: http://www.grad.uni.edu/.
rtews

« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2011, 09:55:35 AM »

In addition to the official call, which is above, I just wanted to add a couple of things. 

1. You should feel free to contact me about any questions that you may have about the debate team at UNI (richard.tews@uni.edu). 

2.  I will be at Wake if you are interested and would like to discuss the program. 

3.  There is no GRE requirement for the program. 

4.  The Feb 1 application deadline is somewhat inflexible. 

Rich
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: