College Policy Debate Forums
April 23, 2018, 06:34:47 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: IF YOU EXPERIENCE PROBLEMS WITH THE SITE, INCLUDING LOGGING IN, PLEASE LET ME KNOW IMMEDIATELY.  EMAIL ME DIRECTLY OR USE THE CONTACT US LINK AT THE TOP.

Home   Help Search Login Register CEDA caselist Debate Results Council of Tournament Directors Edebate Archive  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 2011 Tournament Update #1  (Read 1335 times)
nryan

« on: November 01, 2011, 01:29:08 PM »

Greetings All:

We are looking forward to hosting you this weekend. A few important announcements:

1. Registration closes tomorrow at 5:00 p.m. I will try to open prefs shortly thereafter. Please email any changes to your entry after that time to me at nryan @ liberty .edu .
2. Prefs will be activated tomorrow evening. We will use ordinal judge placement.  “Preference” will be measured by the percentile rank a team assigns a judge, and “mutuality” is measured by the difference in ordinal percentiles between the two teams.  The calculation for percentiles is described on debateresults.com, but the essential calculation is to divide the ordinal ranking by the total judges in the pool, weighted for the number of rounds each judge will hear.
We will seek to place judges who meet a top-80 preference criteria and a within-20 mutuality critiera.  That is, we will seek to place judges who are in the top 80th-percentile for each team, and who have percentile rankings within 20 points of the two team’s percentile ranking.
Based on data extrapolated from prior tournaments, roughly 50% of all debates will receive a judge who is in the top 50th-percentile for both teams, and 80% of the debates will be heard by judges in the top-60th percentile for both teams.  This system has been demonstrated to consistently get more judges into good debates; fewer in-it debates are heard by the top 50% of the pool, and more judges hear teams that clear
3. Parking on campus will be crazy this weekend as there is a major recruiting event taking place on campus. We will have students by the Ebenshade lot (behind DeMoss) with badges that will be able to get you into the gated lot starting at 1:30. You can see the campus map here: http://www.liberty.edu/media/1249/2011-2012_Daily_Parking_Map.pdf
4. Registration will take place on the 4th floor of DeMoss across from the main elevator (located in the middle of the building). We won’t have rooms available until after 3:00 pm for students to work in.
5. Based on our numbers all divisions will be in DeMoss this year.
6. Liberty teams are entered to help fill some of the divisions, but will be ineligible to clear or receive awards.

Let me know if you have any questions,
Nick Ryan
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: