College Policy Debate Forums
July 17, 2018, 04:38:03 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: IF YOU EXPERIENCE PROBLEMS WITH THE SITE, INCLUDING LOGGING IN, PLEASE LET ME KNOW IMMEDIATELY.  EMAIL ME DIRECTLY OR USE THE CONTACT US LINK AT THE TOP.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Graduate School/Coaching - Kansas State University  (Read 2395 times)
JustinGreen

« on: November 16, 2011, 11:28:18 AM »

KSU has one, maybe two, Communications Studies Graduate School Teaching assistantship(s) available for the 2011-12 school year.

Don't like Comm Studies...see very end of email.

The recipient will receive:
- a $10,700 stipend for the first year to be split up over 9 months - the second year the stipend increases $1000
- a tuition waiver for Communication Studies MA program - you still must pay student fees of about $300 a semester. This is a 2-year program.
- TEVALS that you can use for future job/PhD applications

Why KSU Debate?
- Diversity in argument – with a large number of returning debaters we seek coaches who can help with any style of debate.  The ideal coach is capable of helping any student with any argument.
- Family environment - we have pot-lucks, show up at the hospital for one another, birthdays are celebrated
- School Support - everyone at the school knows of the debate team, we funded well to travel.
- Manhattan, KS - inexpensive housing within walking distance of campus, Aggieville (a 5 block radius with over 20 different watering holes within walkind distance of campus), no traffic, parks and centrally located for all of the D-3 tournaments
- Track record of our graduates – ALL of our GTAs for the past 8 years have graduated in 2 years with a Master’s Degree in hand.  All by the start of the next fall have: enrolled in PhD programs, started law school or acquired full-time jobs coaching/teaching at the collegiate level. 

The recipient is expected to:
- travel to 4 debate tournaments a semester and assist in hosting the KSU tournament. Want to go to more, great, definitely not required.  We try to balance regional and national travel for our coaches.
- teach 6 hours of Public Speaking. Extensive assistance is provided. You will receive Teacher Evaluations for your class which many find helpful in applying for future jobs.
- attend a 1-week training session for Public Speaking prior to the start of each Fall semester and enroll in a teaching Public Speaking class.
- listen to practice speeches, debates, and help revise debater's work
- complete/work extensively with debaters on 2 files a year within your area of specialty. Want to do more....again great.

The candidate must:
- be on track for completion of their B.A. Those who plan to finish in the summer must demonstrate ability to complete coursework. This might seem obvious, but past experiences make posting this a necessity.
- have at least a 2.5 GPA. A 3.0 or above is strongly preferred. Those below a 3.0 will have to go through an additional screening process.  The higher the GPA, the better the chances.
- disclose to Justin Green their desire to apply via email (jmgreen at ksu.edu). 
- desire to win. Winning is not the most important lesson in debate for KSU debaters and coaches; it is why we receive funding. We believe striving to win does increase knowledge of lessons learned and helps
to create a strong bond.
- enjoy being around a big team - i.e. be willing to make fun of/with everyone including themselves. This includes working well with other coaches.
- be able to work with all experience levels - All of our coaches coach all of our teams.  We do have a few novices.  The majority of our team has had some H.S. experience.
- desire to take a very active role while at a debate tournament.
- The ideal candidate would also have experienced success as a debater and/or coach.

Our squad is diverse. Categories... if you like to use them, pick one or two or combine, we probably have it represented and celebrated. If you don't like categories, we have lots of different people and like
to add others to the mix (although not necessarily stir). We celebrate diversity/flexibility in argument too. We like coaches who have in-depth experience/knowledge about a certain area/style of debate. We seek diverse experts of all varieties and backgrounds. 

I will be at the Cal Swing, we will also have teams at the Texas 2-Step.  Please feel free to ask questions of myself or any of the KSU coaches and/or debaters.

FOR THOSE NOT SEEKING COMM DEGREES
I encourage you to apply for one of many GTA programs in other disciplines: ENGLISH, MATH, HARD SCIENCES, just to name a few. There is no preference given to debaters in admissions into these programs,
but there are still possibilities to work with the debate team. If you have a certain field in mind and are interested in Manhattan, please let me know your field of interest.

Justin Green
Director of Debate - Kansas State
joe

« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2011, 11:40:51 AM »

Let me give my own personal plug for KSU.

This is an awesome opportunity.  My undergraduate record was spotty at best.  It took me a billion semesters to graduate from West Georgia, which isn't the greatest institution to begin with.  KSU took me in and gave me an opportunity to rebuild myself as a student.  The pay is more than adequate, the teaching and class load isn't overwhelming, and Justin and Sarah are amazing to work for.  The department is small but very supportive.  At the end of my time there I was prepared to apply to PhD school and managed to get into a pretty good one, despite acting like a total idiot for almost a decade.

Justin said you should talk to him or another K-stater at one of the swings, but you could also talk to recent graduates like me, Natalie Pennington, Max Archer, or Dan Stout...we'll all vouch for the program and what it can do for you.

Joe Koehle

P.S.--Justin didn't mention that you can also apply for (and likely receive) a summer teaching appointment, bringing overall compensation closer to 13,500.

« Last Edit: November 16, 2011, 11:44:48 AM by joe » Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: