College Policy Debate Forums
December 15, 2018, 12:27:22 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: IF YOU EXPERIENCE PROBLEMS WITH THE SITE, INCLUDING LOGGING IN, PLEASE LET ME KNOW IMMEDIATELY.  EMAIL ME DIRECTLY OR USE THE CONTACT US LINK AT THE TOP.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Thanks  (Read 8030 times)
Whit

« on: December 05, 2011, 09:45:05 AM »

Thanks to Iowa for hosting a great tournament. Paul, Josh, Sarah, Dr. Dave and the entire Iowa squad went to great lengths to make the tournament awesome. I would encourage everyone to attend next year. Iowa is located in a sweet spot that drew competition from several different districts. Plus...

Hospitality:
There was a 'Cupcake Social' on Friday night that featured several different types of cupcakes, petit fours and cookies.
Hot breakfast (eggs, bacon, pancakes, french toast....and fresh fruit) on both Saturday and Sunday.
BBQ for lunch on Saturday and fried chicken on Sunday (they also went out of their way to provide for vegetarians and vegans).
Snacks and Beverages provided throughout the tournament.

Convenience:
Tournament Hotel on campus and a block away from the debates.
All rounds centrally located and primarily in one building.
Lots of places to get dinner within walking distance of the tournament buildings.

Cost:
Great deal on the tournament hotel per night (I believe it was $70 for a double).
Only $40/person entry fees (for four hearty meals, never-ending snacks and an abundance of cupcakes).

...oh and the trophies were beautiful. Seriously, the kind of stuff you want to show off to administrators.
cramhelwich

« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2011, 12:15:36 PM »

Ditto--very impressive. Many thanks to Dr. Dave, Bellus, Sarah, Josh, et al.
rtews

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2011, 02:48:03 PM »

I absolutely agree with the above.  The Hawkeyes have set the bar really high on tournament hosting.  For those of you that don't like traveling in December you are really missing out!

tews
max.o.archer

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2011, 03:40:15 PM »

Where others find tournament travel in December stressful or tiring, Iowa does an amazing job of keeping everyone happy and comfortable.  Great work Hawkeyes!

Max Archer
Director of Debate
Augustana College
kelly young

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2011, 09:49:04 PM »

The Wayne State Warriors want to thank the Iowa Hawkeyes for being excellent hosts this weekend. One of the best hosted tournaments we have attended! Thanks for everything!

Kelly

Director of Forensics/Associate Professor
Wayne State University
313-577-2953
kelly.young [at] wayne.edu
www.wsuforensics.org
ScottElliott

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2011, 12:16:12 AM »

I do not speak for KCKCC forensics, but let me say that I was blown away by the hospitality of the U. of Iowa program and the the entire D4. I felt like I was at a homecoming party the whole weekend. I felt at home.  And, as someone who rarely has been north of I-10, this was a welcome suprise. Still cold as hell hell; but, the warm hearts of D4 of Iowa and D4 more than made up for that.

Scott E.
BrianDeLong

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2011, 12:10:42 PM »

The Hoosier's had a great weekend.

Some of the perks:
The Food. Unlimited supplies of BBQ, hot breakfasts, and a cookie/cupcake social. The Trophies. I literally thought the top speaker (M.V.P) and the first place trophy were going to be traveling trophies for the tournament.
The Hotel: One minute walk to centrally located rounds. $70 a night.
And it's Iowa City.
They even had mounds of cough drops for those of us who tend to come down with something in the winter.

This tournament is certainly going to stay in our travel schedule well into the future.

Thanks again Hawkeyes.

DarrenElliott

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2011, 02:55:22 PM »

Iowa!!  Wow!  Seriously, if you were not here you missed out.  I cannot think of a better group of people to host you.  Others have spoken to the amazing hospitality and I will echo it all.  But beyond that, Bellus is an amazing host--he really likes having, as he said, his "friends in his house".  Sarah, Gonzo and Dr. Dave go out of their way to please AND judge a ton to increase the quality of the pool--taking hosting to a higher level.  The Blue Devils loved out time there and all of them are still raving about it--as are our Administrators regarding the hardware we brought home.

2 Hot breakfasts, cupcakes and sugar cookies, lunch Sat (see below), picnic style lunch ON SUNDAY ELIM DAY, endless snacks and drinks.

But let me tell you this:  I am from KC where BBQ is king and there are only 3 places in the country where I would recommend people eat BBQ outside KC.  One is Marlow's Restaurant in Memphis--too bad no debate tournaments close.  Another is Jim's Rib Haven in the Quad Cities during Augustana.  The other--the BBQ catered to the Iowa tournament for the Saturday lunch from a place just off the campus area.  AMAZING!  Trust me--if you like BBQ you will love Iowa.

The area just off campus where people go out on Fri and Sat evenings (and all week probably) is an amazing group of bars and pubs with excellent nightlife. 

Iowa has built it folks---its about time you come!

chief
KCKCC
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: