College Policy Debate Forums
July 20, 2018, 08:26:30 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: IF YOU EXPERIENCE PROBLEMS WITH THE SITE, INCLUDING LOGGING IN, PLEASE LET ME KNOW IMMEDIATELY.  EMAIL ME DIRECTLY OR USE THE CONTACT US LINK AT THE TOP.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 2012 Invite  (Read 1610 times)
khtudor

« on: January 10, 2012, 03:17:17 PM »

The invite for the 2012 Western Novice & JV Champs, March 9-11 at Sacramento State University, is pasted below and is also available on debateresults.  We have a new tournament hotel this year - a Courtyard Marriott just minutes from campus which will provide internet and hot breakfast for the $89.00 rate. 

If there are out of state teams interested in attending, please contact me about how we can help make the trip affordable.  In the past I have arranged waived or reduced fees, airport rides, and even housing for out of state programs.

If you have any questions about the tournament, please let me know.

Kristen Tudor
khamilton@csus.edu

Dear Colleagues:

On behalf of the Sacramento State University debate team and the Department of Communication Studies, we are excited to invite you to participate in the Western Novice & JV Championship Tournament to be held at Sac State March 9-11, 2012.  We will have six preliminary rounds of championship team policy debate in both novice & junior-varsity divisions with appropriate elimination rounds. 

This year’s tournament hotel will be the Courtyard Marriott in midtown.  The hotel is offering a rate of $89.00 for up to four per room, which includes hot breakfast and internet. This property is located very close to campus and is also located near many restaurants. 

We look forward to hosting you this spring. If you have questions feel free to email me at khamilton@csus.edu.

Kristen Hamilton Tudor
Director of Debate
(916) 278-5489 (office)
(916) 212-5305 (cell)

Chantel Crane
Graduate Assistant Coach

Tournament Information
Hotel:  The Marriott Courtyard Sacramento Midtown is located at 4422 Y Street, 95817.  The rate is $89.00 plus tax per night for 1-4 people per room.  This rate includes hot breakfast and high speed internet.  Reservations can be made using the link below, or by calling the hotel at 1-916-455-6800 and asking for the Sac State Debate block.  The block will be held until 2 weeks before the tournament. If you have trouble making reservations let me know.
http://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/saccy-courtyard-sacramento-midtown/?toDate=3/11/12&groupCode=sacsaca&fromDate=3/9/12&app=resvlink

Transportation:  The Sacramento Airport is about a 20 minute drive from campus and the tournament hotel.  There are plenty of rental car companies in the airport.   To get to campus or the hotel from the airport, take I-5 south, then merge onto highway 50 east towards South Lake Tahoe.  Exit at Howe/Power Inn Road and follow the signs to campus.

Campus:  Sac State’s address is 6000 J Street, 95819.  I haven’t been able to secure parking permits, so you’ll have to buy a permit for $5 on Friday.  No permit is needed on the weekend.  Park in student lot 2 on Friday and look for Mendocino Hall for registration.  Please note that we’ve been kicked out of our own building on Sunday this year, so we’ll be announcing at the tournament where rounds will be on Sunday and the best place to park that day.

Entry Info:  enter at debateresults.com

Tournament Procedures:  We will use the 2011-2012 CEDA/NDT topic with 9-3-6 speaking times.  We will adhere to CEDA guidelines for novice and junior-varsity eligibility.  Divisions will not be collapsed because this is a championship tournament.  There will be no breaking of brackets in elimination rounds.  We will, if necessary, have partial-elimination rounds in order to break all teams with a winning record.  We will utilize the RKS Decimal scale for speaker points; points are awarded in one-tenth increments and no ties are allowed.

Fees:  The fee for each team is $85.00, which does include light breakfast/coffee Saturday and Sunday (hot breakfast is available at the tournament hotel) and lunch on Saturday.  Each school is expected to provide one judge for every two teams entered.  The uncovered team fee will be $150.00.  We’ll pay hired judges $25 per round. 

Tournament Schedule

Friday, March 9th
2:00-3:00:  Registration on campus – Mendocino Hall

3:30:  Pairings for rounds 1, 2 released – Mendocino Hall

4:00:  Round 1

6:00:  Round 2

Saturday, March 10th
8:00am: Pairings, breakfast, coffee in Mendocino Hall

9:00:  Round 3

11:30:  Round 4

1:30:  Lunch on campus (provided)

2:30:  Round 5

5:30:  Round 6

Sunday, March 11th : 
***We will need ALL judges for the first elim rounds***

9:00:  Elimination round 1

11:00:  Awards Ceremony

12:00:  Subsequent elimination rounds as needed.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: