College Policy Debate Forums
June 22, 2018, 03:01:05 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: IF YOU EXPERIENCE PROBLEMS WITH THE SITE, INCLUDING LOGGING IN, PLEASE LET ME KNOW IMMEDIATELY.  EMAIL ME DIRECTLY OR USE THE CONTACT US LINK AT THE TOP.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Proposed scouting Rule Changes  (Read 3506 times)
Stefan

« on: October 19, 2009, 09:09:32 PM »

In light of the growth in paperless debate, I have been considering proposing/suggesting some scouting rule changes/additions for the NDT.

The new rules would be something along the following:

(1) Teams should inform the scouting director prior to the tournament if the overwhelming majority of their debating will be "paperless."
(2) When assigning scouts, the scouting directors should prioritize the scouting of "paper teams" -- even sending more than one scout to the rooms where there are paper teams.
(3) Paperless teams should self-report the following within 30 minutes of the conclusion of the debate:
(a) Any new 1ACs (tags, cites, new plans) that are read in the debate
(b) Any modifications/additions to existing 1ACs (tags, cites, plan changes
(c) Tags & Cites for cards read in the 1NC
(d) CPs & K alts read in the 1NC/block.
(e) Tags & cites for cards read in the 2AC
(f) Tags and cites for any cards read in any other speeches

My rationale:  We encourage self-reporting prior to the tournament, so why not during the tournament.  Taking 2 minutes to post your own stuff is way more efficient than having scouts re-type it all after the debate (and they often run out of time).

#s 2 & 3 are not mutually exclusive. Having people self-report with scouts in the room just ensures that more information is collected.

Thoughts?
ScottyP

« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2009, 06:24:03 AM »

Stefan,

Self reporting seems dangerous given its track record-if it worked there would be no need for the scouting system at all. It seems that since paperless teams can easily jump all their biz to a scout in 1 minute it would be easy to just have scouts go around and collect things to make sure they are being posted.
Stefan

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2009, 07:43:24 AM »

I agree with what Scotty says.

Perhaps the proposed changed should be amended to say --

Paperless debaters should provide scouts with A-F within 10 minutes of the completion of the debate.
andreareed

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2009, 11:52:03 AM »

Yeah, agreed.  As someone who moderates the caselist during the year, I have little faith that purely self-reporting for paperless would work. 

If we think there is currently a problem with spreading scouts too thin, one other idea is that the reporting of paperless intel could be verified by the judge who chairs the panel (or one of the other judges could step up).  If the whole point is that paperless makes intel posting fast, then this shouldn't been too much of an extra burden on the judge.  And since they actually watched the round, they would probably be even better than the scout at verifying that the relevant information is posted.

PS- this new group of "faster people to scout" should really be more than just the paperless teams.  I know many teams that still use paper have at least transitioned to a universal template in the meantime, many of which have a cite list macro.  These teams should be able to share their intel just as quickly as a paperless team.  Yet they don't, hmm...
yoyohh

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2009, 08:53:40 PM »

You should wow power leveling also avoid  wow gold a company that has no phone number for  you to call in the event aion power leveling of a problem. Choose aion gold hostingcompany cheap wow power leveling that offers buy wow power leveling you around aion kina the clock customer service.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: