College Policy Debate Forums
November 19, 2017, 03:31:07 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: IF YOU EXPERIENCE PROBLEMS WITH THE SITE, INCLUDING LOGGING IN, PLEASE LET ME KNOW IMMEDIATELY.  EMAIL ME DIRECTLY OR USE THE CONTACT US LINK AT THE TOP.

Home   Help Search Login Register CEDA caselist Debate Results Council of Tournament Directors Edebate Archive  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Targeted Tax Increases by Kathryn Kernoff and Ryan Galloway  (Read 9151 times)
Malgor

« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2012, 04:09:43 PM »

interesting points, I had not thought of aff advantages on this topic in that way.

I am tired of the unified mechanism rhetoric and the constant reference to treaties.  This comes up in posts, papers, and backchannels all the time.  Treaties was not awesome because of the unified mechanism it was awesome because of the treaties.  There was very little generic negative ground that revolved around the treaty mechanism, and what did exist was just a process counterplan YAAAAY!!

I see the same issue with this paper.  yes, unified mechanism, but what is this fantastic ground that mechanism generates? I can't think of an argument that would be generic to the topic and not just another process cp.  seems like the debate, even with the disad, is always going to come down to the specificity of the tax enacted, not the mechanism of a tax increase (except of course for politics, the disad that matters least in terms of viability vis a vis a topic).  That and the ability for the negative to easily counterplan out of any funding/inequality advantage means the debates will be about the behavioral changes generated by the tax.

I could be missing something, probably am....but the great unified ground offered by this topic is lost on me.  And this aint specific to TTI, it applies to most all topics, but topics that bust out the 'unified mechanism' rhetoric always offer up the opposite truth (the mechanism gives us great ground!).  Seeking clarity there....
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: