College Policy Debate Forums
November 18, 2017, 01:45:18 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: IF YOU EXPERIENCE PROBLEMS WITH THE SITE, INCLUDING LOGGING IN, PLEASE LET ME KNOW IMMEDIATELY.  EMAIL ME DIRECTLY OR USE THE CONTACT US LINK AT THE TOP.

Home   Help Search Login Register CEDA caselist Debate Results Council of Tournament Directors Edebate Archive  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Yes to Renewables in the Resolution  (Read 3074 times)
gabemurillo

« on: June 04, 2012, 12:03:12 PM »

My primary concerns with these resolutions is the inclusion of renewable energy. I think that any topic which excludes renewable energy should be a none starter. It is unfair to argue that the topic paper is in favor of excluding renewable energy - every time excluding renewables is presented as a possibility it is quickly refuted as against the intent of the authors of the paper. While it is hard to define the intent of each vote for the energy topic it is clearly defined as against the direction of the paper to exclude renewable energy. Ignoring the obvious conclusion of the topic paper on this issue but upholding the integrity of the paper when it comes to the possibility of a resolution without fossil fuels seems illogical to me.
While generally I am in favor of smaller resolutions I am terrified that the more limited nature of the fossil fuels only topics will make people just vote for them because they are smaller. Don't do it! These versions of the topic erase the intent of the paper and seriously distort the intent of many of the people who voted for the energy topic. If your fidelity truly lies with the topic paper you should also re-read all of the sections which refute the claims that this topic is too large - even with the addition of renewables the mechanisms and restraints on the literature create natural limits to the resolution. And researching both sides of incentives for renewables are inevitable on any version of the topic so ground, research and strategy arguments don't make very much sense. If your fidelity is with the expectations of the community, then there is not an argument against including renewables because it would guarantee each person who voted for the energy topic got to debate what they thought they were voting for (whether it be fossil fuels or renewable energy). 
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: