College Policy Debate Forums
November 24, 2017, 05:50:48 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: IF YOU EXPERIENCE PROBLEMS WITH THE SITE, INCLUDING LOGGING IN, PLEASE LET ME KNOW IMMEDIATELY.  EMAIL ME DIRECTLY OR USE THE CONTACT US LINK AT THE TOP.

Home   Help Search Login Register CEDA caselist Debate Results Council of Tournament Directors Edebate Archive  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Comma Placement  (Read 4934 times)
psadow

« on: June 05, 2012, 05:53:15 PM »

Come here to continue the discussion about comma placement started in the topic ballot thread.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2012, 05:56:20 PM by psadow » Logged
antonucci23

« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2012, 06:26:03 PM »

Well, strictly speaking it is neither essential nor nonessential because it is a part of the verb phrase. Both of those grammatical categories refer to phrases which expand upon the description of a noun NOT phrases which are involved in the actions taken by the subject.

We can have a subsequent discussion over its possible status as a verb phrase.

However, we cannot proceed if you're going to argue in bad faith.

The identified word grouping is clearly not an essential clause.

Therefore, your objection is invalid.

If you're trying to have people take your complaint seriously, you're not going to help your cause by being a troll and making junk arguments.

Let's strike that particular objection and move on, yes?
psadow

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2012, 12:06:06 AM »

If you strike the mudslinging, its a deal.

Calling me a troll and  characterizing my conerns as junk is hardly in good faith.
antonucci23

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2012, 07:13:51 AM »

If you strike the mudslinging, its a deal.

Calling me a troll and  characterizing my conerns as junk is hardly in good faith.

Sure.  My concern is for facts, not feelings.  That's not an essential or restrictive clause.  We both know this.  Let's consider that issue resolved and proceed.

I'll investigate your next concern.  However, can you take the opportunity to strike any additional arguments that you know to be wrong from the OP?  It would abbreviate this process considerably.  My real point was this - this is not an academic debate.  We're both attempting to resolve an obscure point of grammar, not win an argument.  Let's stick to mutual fact-finding.

The verb phrase concern is stated in a kind of funky way.  Your examples definitely don't help you - you just take necessarily paired commas, subtract one, then declare that there's an error.  This is the one concern that strike me as potentially valid, though, so I'll investigate it more thoroughly.
kevin kuswa

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2012, 07:36:17 AM »

another argument for the commas:

we all agree clarity is the purpose and the "and/or" makes things tough to put into a rigid set of grammatical rules.

that said, we do not want the "of energy production in the US" to get applied to only the second choice of action (incentives).

In other words, to prevent one possible reading of the resolution that links the "reduction of restrictions" directly to the fuel sources, we have to have the commas.  The commas let us know that the "of energy production in the US" follows either the restrictions action, the incentives action, or both the restrictions and the incentives actions.

we're pretty close to putting this one to sleep, tucking it in, and/or hoping it has brushed its teeth.
antonucci23

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2012, 09:11:13 AM »

Kevin, it might be helpful to cut and paste any statement you have from copy editors, professional writers, or English professors on this subject.

I consulted a number of them, and they're either unsure or, frankly, have better things to do.  Sorting through these individual objections to triple check is tiring for me, particularly when some of the concerns aren't even serious.
kevin kuswa

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2012, 01:38:19 PM »

Mike, will do, but it may be a few weeks.  The main person I talked to wants to meet up in person to understand the dilemma in the first place (which she doesn't quite get given the fact that it's a debate topic, not a sentence) and I won't be able to do that until later in the summer.  Maybe by that point we'll get a sense of the major problem/s.  Thanks for your help on this, by the way--and all your help during the meeting.  You, Turner, Jonah, the UK folks, the UWG folks, the Michigan folks, the JMU folks, the Emory folks, and a number of others really added to the insights of the committee over the weekend.
antonucci23

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2012, 04:45:28 PM »

Mr. Sadowski,

antonucci23@gmail.com

I want to hash out one particular point of yours via backchannel before making a final decision.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: