College Policy Debate Forums
July 17, 2018, 08:54:57 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: IF YOU EXPERIENCE PROBLEMS WITH THE SITE, INCLUDING LOGGING IN, PLEASE LET ME KNOW IMMEDIATELY.  EMAIL ME DIRECTLY OR USE THE CONTACT US LINK AT THE TOP.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Please post judge philosophies  (Read 8067 times)
nryan

« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2012, 01:38:53 PM »

For the Gonzaga tournament, conflicts were enterable at the same place as prefs.  You click on the 'prefs' tab, and on the right hand side of the box, you'll see buttons for managing conflicts and prefs.  Don't know if GSU is set up like that.

So is there now no way for an individual judge to constrain themselves? That's now entirely up to the school?
Vega

« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2012, 01:59:02 PM »

Since student-access to prefs will probably not be available for the first few tournaments, you can just link those students who will be doing prefs to be a coach of the chapter/squad.  You can then remove that privilege as soon as prefs are in. Do that under your "Settings" page.
tcram

« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2012, 02:01:58 PM »

For the Gonzaga tournament, conflicts were enterable at the same place as prefs.  You click on the 'prefs' tab, and on the right hand side of the box, you'll see buttons for managing conflicts and prefs.  Don't know if GSU is set up like that.

So is there now no way for an individual judge to constrain themselves? That's now entirely up to the school?

To my knowledge, the constraint ability only flows one way, which is the ability for schools/students to put in constraints against judges, not vice versa.  I have no discovered how to enter my own judge constraints, but I was able to set constraints for the rest of the judging pool for my students, if that makes sense
AbeCorrigan

« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2012, 02:16:54 PM »

Thanks TCram, but is there a way to conflict from the judge side. For example, if I want to conflict myself from judging Northwestern is there a way I can do that, or can that only be done on Northwestern's end?
Abe
dylanquigley

« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2012, 04:56:53 PM »

Question for those who did prefs at Gonzaga/UNI: How does one manage this big list of folks when trying to do ordinal ranking? I opened up the GSU prefs to start but quickly ran away in terror once I realized there are no "Sort" or "Remove Duplicates" button like on the old system. Are there any tricks folks can recommend?
tcram

« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2012, 06:56:57 PM »

Q, I didn't find a work around.  However, I STRONGLY recommend doing prefs in excel first so that you have a full record outside of the browser, because there were multiple times when I tried to do a partial save or when I tried to do a final save that it wiped everything out.  Not a big deal for Gonzaga's small pool, but god have mercy on your soul if it happens for Kentucky or Wake...
dylanquigley

« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2012, 09:52:03 PM »

I emailed Chris Palmer who has been working on the transition with these questions. He responded incredibly fast, as he has for all my communications with him, but said that the constraints and prefs features will probably remain unchanged at least for this weekend as he is tabbing an IE tournament at Yale. The prefs will clearly just take extra time and care on the part of all of us but what to do about the constraints I don't know. Perhaps folks submit them to the tournament via email?
dylanquigley

« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2012, 10:06:42 PM »

Correction: Good news! Chris sent me another email and says he can add the replace duplicates function and also said:
"for sort, if you click the save button, it'll sort them.  Unrated judges go to the top; everything else will be sorted by number at the bottom."

Sorry for the spam, hope that might help other folks.
Ermo

« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2012, 10:30:14 PM »

Correction: Good news! Chris sent me another email and says he can add the replace duplicates function and also said:
"for sort, if you click the save button, it'll sort them.  Unrated judges go to the top; everything else will be sorted by number at the bottom."

Sorry for the spam, hope that might help other folks.

This is the opposite of spam - it's very helpful and/or real food.

Thank you for taking action on it.
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: