College Policy Debate Forums
October 20, 2018, 10:48:46 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: IF YOU EXPERIENCE PROBLEMS WITH THE SITE, INCLUDING LOGGING IN, PLEASE LET ME KNOW IMMEDIATELY.  EMAIL ME DIRECTLY OR USE THE CONTACT US LINK AT THE TOP.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: NYC RR Update #1  (Read 2321 times)
mike.girouard

« on: January 28, 2010, 11:08:31 PM »

NYC Round Robin – The Gotham Debates
Hosted by: The New School
Update #1

Since the number of teams decreased from 16 to 12 we have had to make some changes in the scheduling to account for this and to ensure that every team gets at least 7 debates.  There will still be 2 pods (Pod A and Pod B).  Each pod will be comprised of 6 teams.  Each team will debate all other teams in the pod.  After the conclusion of the first 5 rounds, the top 2 teams from Pod A will debate the top 2 teams from Pod B.  The remaining 4 teams from Pod A will debate the remaining 2 debates against the remaining 4 teams of Pod B.  This is to ensure that all teams have 7 debates and don’t have to face a team from the same school.   After this has concluded we will then advance the top 2 teams (of the top 4 teams from each Pod) to the finals round.   

As of now, we are looking alright on judging and there are still a few judges who might be added later with supplemental strike sheets. 

The Updated Schedule is listed below.  Rounds 1-4 are being released the night before in order to decrease the amount of prep-time that should be needed in between each round.  This was done for two reasons:  1) To ensure that we would get done at a reasonable time so that people could get out and enjoy the city if they would like, and  2) Because The New School Campus is not open 24 hours a day and we have to be out of the buildings at set times each day.

Updated Schedule for Round Robin

Friday 01/29/10

Confirm Via Email (mike.girouard@gmail.com) or Phone (254-227-8518) when you make it into the city
Pods & Pairings for Rounds 1-4 will be released @ 10 PM via email and CEDA Forums/NE Listserv

Saturday 01/30/10

8:00AM-8:30AM   Breakfast/Registration – Wollman Hall – 5th Floor on the 11th Street Side
8:30AM-10:30AM   Round 1
10:30AM-12:300PM   Round 2
12:30PM-1:00PM   Lunch – Wollman Hall
1:00PM-3:00PM   Round 3
3:00PM-5:00PM   Round 4
*Tub Storage in Wollman Hall

Sunday 01/31/10

9:00AM-9:30AM   Breakfast – Wollman Hall
9:30AM-11:30AM   Round 5
11:30AM-12:00PM   Lunch – Wollman Hall
12:00PM-2:00PM   Round 6
2:00PM-4:00PM   Round 7
4:00PM-4:30PM   Awards Ceremony – Wollman Hall
5:00PM-7:00PM   Finals Debate – Wollman Hall

Other Logistical Information

Prefs

We will be using a prefs system for this tournament.  You should be able to enter your prefs starting at midnight tonight.  The prefs will remain opened until 8PM Friday.  You should assign a minimum 10 A’s, 5 B’s, and 5 C’s.  Constraints will still be enabled, but due to number of judges please try to limit it 2.  These should be marked as D’s.   

Invoices

I understand that there are a few schools that will have to submit an invoice in order to for entry fees to be covered.  If you are in one of these situations, please let me know as soon as possible so that I can have these ready to give to you at registration.

Checks

If you will be paying by check for your entry fees, please make checks payable to: The New School.  If you need any other documentation for University purposes please let me know and I will do my best to have this available at registration. 

Location of Debates/Parking

All debates will be held at 65 W 11th St, NY, NY 10012.  You can enter the building at two locations.  Either at 65 W. 11th, NY, NY 11012
or at 66 12th St, NY, NY 10012.  If you will be taking public transit it will be closer to enter at the 12th St location and walk through the building.  If you are driving, just be aware that 11th and 12th are both one-way streets.  All of the information about Public Transit or driving is listed on the original invite, but if you need to know more just let me know.
Parking will be on the streets surrounding the school or at a parking garage.  I am working on negotiating a weekend rate for the parking garage and will find out tomorrow the final result.  My suggestion is to just park your car wherever you are staying and ride the Metro or take a Taxi.  If you need any other info about parking just let me know.

Weather

Right now, it’s a chilli 21 degrees outside.  Thankfully there isn’t any snow and there doesn’t look to be any this weekend, but it will be cold.  High on Friday is 28, Saturday is 26 and Sunday is 33.  Please dress accordingly, although once you arrive at the building you shouldn’t have to go back outside until you leave.

Caselist

In order to make this weekend as educational as possible for everyone attending and to ensure that the rounds get started on time, please make sure that outlines of your latest 1AC’s and stock Negative positions are updated on the Wiki.

Hospitality

There will be an informal gathering on Friday and probably one on Saturday night as well.  Details will be sent out on the exact location later tomorrow. 

I am sure there is something that I am forgetting or there will be other questions that people will still have after reading this.  If so please feel free to send me an email or give me a call and I will do my best to answer them.

We are looking forward to hosting this tournament for the district and seeing all of our friends this weekend.  We hope this is educational and beneficial for everyone who attends. 

Thanks,
Mike Girouard
Dir of Debate – The New School
mike.girouard@gmail.com
254-227-85184
V I Keenan

« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2010, 02:38:45 PM »

Corrected number for Girouard:

254-227-8518
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: