College Policy Debate Forums
April 23, 2018, 11:15:36 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: IF YOU EXPERIENCE PROBLEMS WITH THE SITE, INCLUDING LOGGING IN, PLEASE LET ME KNOW IMMEDIATELY.  EMAIL ME DIRECTLY OR USE THE CONTACT US LINK AT THE TOP.

Home   Help Search Login Register CEDA caselist Debate Results Council of Tournament Directors Edebate Archive  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: NDT Hotel Block is sold out  (Read 2235 times)
vguevara

« on: January 30, 2013, 11:07:43 AM »

The original block of 200 rooms is sold out. 

We just spent the morning on the phone with our contacts at the Ogden Marriott and pending more information, this what we can tell you:

We anticipate that there might be some reservation modifications as we get closer to the NDT and programs have actual headcounts.  Given that that is possible, the hotel has begun a waiting list.  As people call to reserve, they will be placed on a first come first served waiting list for additional rooms as they become available.

The hotel has a total of 257 rooms and the NDT has reserved 200 of them.  They are currently looking into the status of their remaining 57 sleeping rooms to see what is available to offer for the NDT.  They indicated over the phone that the next group of rooms brought on board may not be offered at the $79 rate, but we will negotiate to bring that as close in line as we can.

The Marriott is sending me a list of all of the institutions that have reserved.  This will give me an idea of how many more rooms we will need.  Once I have a sense of that, I'm going to begin negotiating group rates with the overflow hotels. I'm fairly confident I can get something reasonable out of them even if we can't match the $79 rate.

We will provide more updates as they become available.

Thanks for your patience!
vguevara

« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2013, 02:08:11 PM »

The latest update is that the Ogden Marriott has released 20 more rooms at the $79 rate.  There were 6 rooms on the waitlist who have priority so there are a few others that are up for grabs.

To reserve, please call Ivan Toca at 801.395.2047

We are concurrently working on negotiating the best rate possible at the overflow hotels as a contingency.
BManuel

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2013, 04:50:01 PM »

I just spoke with Ivan and he says all the rooms that were added were King only.  Also there are only 4 left.  I had made reservations through the platinum line that got me a few doubles but they were unwilling to move these into the block for me.  However, they did make a note in my reservation that will move my doubles into the block upon anyone cancelling their rooms after districts/second rounds occur.  I'd suggest people who intend to cancel post here and give those who need rooms time to pick your rooms up before you cancel them.  Also if anyone will be cancelling doubles please contact me, I'd like to take advantage of the block rate.  Email is bmanuel@stanford.edu

Others might want to try this and see if it works out for them.

Best,
Brian
vguevara

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2013, 10:06:04 PM »

There's no need to swap rooms on the forums. While that's typical operating procedure, the hotel is already managing a waitlist, as my original post indicated.  This will make the process easier for all parties. 

As rooms are released, they will remain in the block.  Ivan will contact the programs in the order they called to make reservations.  Private arrangements to swap rooms will end up circumventing the established process and will be unfair to those who got in line for those rooms first.  So for example, when the last 20 rooms were released this week, 6 of those rooms were already spoken for by the institutions already on the waitlist.

All 20 of those rooms were reserved within a few hours of their release.  If folks are looking for rooms at the Marriott, please call Ivan to let him know that you would like to be put on the waitlist.

For parties who prioritize staying at the tournament hotel over cost concerns, the Ogden Marriott still has about 20 junior suites, but they are $129/night and offer little more than a seating area.  Those can be reserved any time through the central reservation system.

In the meantime, I am working to finalize a rate with the Hilton Garden Inn (http://hiltongardeninn3.hilton.com/en/hotels/utah/hilton-garden-inn-ogden-ut-OGDWBGI/index.html).  

The Hilton Garden Inn is a brand new hotel. It is a .43 mile walk from the front door of the Marriott.  If it were any closer to the tournament hotel, it would be in the parking lot. For Five Guys lovers, you'll be happy to know that the hotel is less than 450 feet from a bag of fries.  The rate won't cross the $100 mark, but I'm haggling for something that starts with an "8." There is also a third option for an overflow hotel if necessary.

Also, since conference rooms at the Marriott were all reserved very quickly, this second option opens more conference room space that can be reserved for programs that are interested.  It will also create conference room space during elim day when the conference space at the Marriott will be reserved for elim debates.

Once I have a group established at the Hilton Garden Inn, I will be posting on CEDA Forums, Facebook and www.ndt2013weber.com with updates.

If you have concerns, feel free to contact me at veronica_m_barreto@hotmail.com.

« Last Edit: January 31, 2013, 10:15:23 PM by vguevara » Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: