College Policy Debate Forums
January 23, 2018, 01:53:36 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: IF YOU EXPERIENCE PROBLEMS WITH THE SITE, INCLUDING LOGGING IN, PLEASE LET ME KNOW IMMEDIATELY.  EMAIL ME DIRECTLY OR USE THE CONTACT US LINK AT THE TOP.

Home   Help Search Login Register CEDA caselist Debate Results Council of Tournament Directors Edebate Archive  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 2013 Owen L. Coon Update #5: Friday Evening Panel Discussion; pre-sets;pairings  (Read 6390 times)
Tim Barouch

« on: February 05, 2013, 01:39:00 PM »

Friends & Colleagues,

I would like to invite each of you - coaches and students - to participate in a wide-ranging panel discussion on the subject of translating what we have learned together in our debates about issues of identity to programmatic and structural changes that we might make on each of our own teams.  My intention is to schedule a time during the 52nd Owen L. Coon this coming weekend that does not conflict with our debates in order to attract the largest possible attendance and then just see what happens!  So, we've decided to host the panel and subsequent discussion from 7:30PM to 9:30PM on Friday night in the Heritage Ballroom at the Hilton Orrington.  Pairings for the rounds on Saturday will be released at the conclusion of the forum so folks who would otherwise be preparing for their debates can attend.  

One of the reasons we will be able to do this is that we will pre-set all four of the debates on Saturday.  We have not done this in many years, but Gary Larson will be unavailable to pair the debate on Saturday, so we decided awhile ago to return to the old system of rankings/pre-sets.  Because Northwestern teams will be participating in the tournament, I have asked an unaffiliated outside coach to assemble the rankings and cells.  

Registration will occur in the Foyer outside the Heritage Ballroom (2nd Floor of the Orrington to the left off the main elevators for those of you remember the layout of the hotel).  It should therefore be easy to register on the way to the panel if you are so inclined to attend.  If you are staying at the Hilton Garden Inn or the Best Western, it is a quick walk over to the Orrington.

The format for the panel and discussion will be as follows - I have recruited a number of people who I've found to have interesting things to contribute on the subject to each give a 4-5 minute statement on their point of view.  We will endeavor cover a wide range of issues that I think are increasingly relevant for each of our programs including, but not limited to: 1) the conjunction of issues regarding identity in debate with attention to recruiting and retention; 2) building team cultures of inclusiveness; 3) long term institutional development; and 4) curricular matters that address these issues.  After each of the panelists makes a statement I will ask a few follow up questions to the panel.   We will then open the floor to general discussion, position taking, and argument.  We'd like the panelists to speak for roughly 45 minutes and to follow up with about 90 minutes of audience-led discussion.

Please note: while some of the subjects I have included on the agenda might appear at first look to be most relevant to coaches and directors, I would contend that students, alums, etc. are just as impacted by and engaged in such issues (perhaps more, even).  For instance, it's tough to talk about creating team culture without including the current debaters!  Likewise, I've found that students play an important role in much of the recruiting that occurs in many of our programs.  

Finally, one caveat - I am the sort of fellow who tries his hardest to be a relentless self-critic.  My hope is that this panel and discussion can both identify what works, and importantly, what does not work when it comes to this set of issues.  I do believe that we have much to learn from each others successes and failures.  So, if this set of topics sounds interesting, please join us at 7:30 PM this Friday with you best (and worst!) ideas, thoughts, stories, lesson-learned, etc.

I know I speak for the entire Northwestern Debate Society when I say that we are looking forward to and working hard to prepare a fantastic tournament experience for each of you.  

Best,

Fitz
Ben Crossan

« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2013, 12:20:58 PM »

Would anyone who attended mind giving an account of how this went? Did anyone happen to record this?
MountainJack

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2013, 02:27:24 PM »

Hey all, this is Jack Forbes from Northwestern.

I recorded the forum, and am currently working on getting it ready for upload. However, I used a two-camera setup, so please allow some time for me to edit the footage from both cameras together.
lukephill

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2013, 01:41:10 PM »

If you would like to get contact information for any of the National Association for Urban Debate Leagues 19 member leagues please contact Luke Hill (lukehill at urbandebate.org).  I would be happy to discuss the myriad of ways your program can work with our member leagues to continue the work of promoting diversity in the debate community and extending opportunities to debate in college for Urban Debate League alumni.

We currently have leagues in:
Atlanta
Baltimore
Bay Area
Boston
Chicago
Dallas
Denver
Detroit
Houston
Kansas City
Los Angeles
Memphis
Milwaukee
Minnesota
Nashville
New Jersey
New York
Rhode Island
St. Louis

Best,
LH
« Last Edit: February 12, 2013, 02:05:14 PM by lukephill » Logged
MountainJack

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2013, 04:51:26 PM »

Looking back at the forum 4-5 months later, it appears that I never shared the link to the forum videos. My apologies to those who wanted to see them (the link below is to the first video of 6. I decided to republish them in a playlist for easier navigation).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HIzHSvbZ_yQ&list=PLbO0eKbKQd_XNfDu1vd55z55u9vKv_7Bt&index=1
« Last Edit: July 06, 2013, 04:54:17 PM by MountainJack » Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: