College Policy Debate Forums
December 14, 2018, 10:51:31 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: IF YOU EXPERIENCE PROBLEMS WITH THE SITE, INCLUDING LOGGING IN, PLEASE LET ME KNOW IMMEDIATELY.  EMAIL ME DIRECTLY OR USE THE CONTACT US LINK AT THE TOP.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Ballot Disclosure  (Read 3011 times)
Paul Elliott Johnson

« on: February 26, 2013, 02:57:41 PM »

Just wanted to toss out a mea culpa on the ballot disclosure policy from the round robin: after going through the meeting minutes from the NDT committee at the NU tournament, I just wanted to state publicly that:

1. We should have had some sort of prior notice policy on ballot publication (along with an opt out) for both teams and judges.

2. In the future, we will.

In general, we thought publishing the ballots would provide a great teaching tool (since many of the debates at the RR were recorded). The idea being pairing the ballots with the videos, having students watch the debates, then look at the ballots to get a sense of the difference in how judges decide debates and how debaters view them etc. etc. Sometimes when we get good ideas we get a little overly exuberant about them, and move a bit faster than would be prudent. In the future we will better balance our enthusiasm with prudence.

Some folks had already backchanneled me about all this, and I figure since it was brought up at the NDT meeting it warranted some public address. We obviously loved hosting everyone and look forward to doing so again next year.

Best,
PJ
Ermo

« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2013, 03:18:18 PM »

I spoke to Paul about this idea, and enthusiastically supported it. I still do, but I suppose having an opt-out mechanism and prior warning are helpful additions. That said, I learned a lot from reading the ballots, and I actually think evolving toward a community norm where judges do something similar would have a lot of benefits. I support oral RFD's as well, and perhaps there is appropriate feedback that is better if NOT on a public ballot, but it's not possible to be present for every RFD and I find that I learn a great deal more about a judge from seeing/hearing their RFD than I could ever learn from a judging philosophy.
RGarrett

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2013, 03:28:23 PM »

I can add to this discussion that at many large high school tournaments ballots are made publicly available as a large PDF for each round.  Some even scan ballots while the tournament is going on.  I think this mostly evolved as a cost saving and time saving measure to copying, but to my knowledge there haven't been any adverse consequences. 
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: