College Policy Debate Forums
November 22, 2017, 09:20:31 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: IF YOU EXPERIENCE PROBLEMS WITH THE SITE, INCLUDING LOGGING IN, PLEASE LET ME KNOW IMMEDIATELY.  EMAIL ME DIRECTLY OR USE THE CONTACT US LINK AT THE TOP.

Home   Help Search Login Register CEDA caselist Debate Results Council of Tournament Directors Edebate Archive  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Papers Being worked on (I'm working on X)  (Read 7348 times)
Tim Barouch

« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2013, 01:30:30 PM »

I read Mike's post/ideas: if the agent changes, what happens to fiat? If my memory/history serves, fiat came about as a practical solution to an in-round problem. Since the aff held no position of power in the USFG, we used our imagination (as a counterfactual, what if the USFG did X...), so that a negative team couldn't stand up and win by pointing out the obvious conclusion that the plan wouldn't be done.

None of the 'solutions' to the topic process that I've read 'resolve' the inclusion/exclusion argument  -- saying "citizens" sure doesn't, nor does "US people". Mike's passive voice idea is interesting, but I don't think that it accomplishes what he wants it to (and some would argue -- persuasively, in my opinion -- that 'overrule' implies an agent. The NCAA/sports idea makes a lot of sense, but of course, when you talk about exclusions, I'd rather defend the USFG than the NCAA (more exploitative and coercive)... Still, his point here would tend to counsel in favor of some agent that was more appropriate to the topic area (even though it would again, not 'resolve' the inclusion/exclusion discussion... 

I'm just marking things that I see as issues to think about during the process. For instance: if Kevin's income inequality topic were selected (an extremely important topic), and the resolution did not mention the USFG, would USFG be negative ground?  I can't think of a quicker and better way to resolve income inequality than to reform the tax code...   

tb
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: