College Policy Debate Forums
April 20, 2018, 08:06:22 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: IF YOU EXPERIENCE PROBLEMS WITH THE SITE, INCLUDING LOGGING IN, PLEASE LET ME KNOW IMMEDIATELY.  EMAIL ME DIRECTLY OR USE THE CONTACT US LINK AT THE TOP.

Home   Help Search Login Register CEDA caselist Debate Results Council of Tournament Directors Edebate Archive  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8
  Print  
Author Topic: Billy Tate  (Read 25570 times)
Paul Elliott Johnson

« on: April 06, 2013, 10:46:54 AM »

I received the sad news this morning from Alan Coverstone that Billy Tate, long time director of debate and forensics at Montgomery Bell Academy, suffered a heart attack and has passed on. Billy was in the process of retiring from his position at MBA. A titantic figure in high school forensics, Billy helped make MBA debate a home for many students.
SherryHall

« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2013, 11:00:03 AM »

RIP Billy. I'll break my vow and eat one final Goo-Goo cluster, just for you.
SherryHall

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2013, 11:01:07 AM »

There have been many debate coaches who have shaped this activity in ways that are difficult to quantify. Mr. Tate will be missed but never forgotten. Thank you for everything you have done to help shape this community.
SherryHall

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2013, 11:02:33 AM »

RIP, coach
SherryHall

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2013, 11:03:31 AM »

Mr Tate gave me and many many others an opportunity to compete intellectually at the highest levels. He had a deeply generous spirit. I am so grateful for his helping hand. May he find eternal rest (and not while driving the heavenly debate chariots)
SherryHall

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2013, 11:05:56 AM »

Saddened by the loss of Billy Tate, one of the people most responsible for the incredible opportunities I have enjoyed. Miss you, Coach.
SherryHall

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2013, 11:06:57 AM »

So saddened to learn of the loss of my friend Billy Tate, one of the kindest gentlemen that I will ever know.
SherryHall

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2013, 11:08:31 AM »

Deeply saddened by the passing of Billy. No one in the debate cared more about making tournaments a time to enjoy each other's company and truly be together as a larger community. I wish there was a chance to go back and tell him how much I admired his sense of community and love of debate.
SherryHall

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2013, 11:16:21 AM »

A former national champion just said " Mr. Tate was doing what he loved. He was nearly in heaven before he passed." God Bless my dear friend, Billy Tate.
dbhingst

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2013, 12:11:26 PM »

We will miss you, coach!
SherryHall

« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2013, 01:58:00 PM »

The first time I attended the Southern Bell, I was a very young coach, wet behind the ears and more than a little intimidated. I was sitting by myself in the dining room and an imposing man with a thick southern drawl came over to me and said "I don't believe we've met before, I'm Billy Tate. I hope we're making you feel at home here at the Montgomery Bell Academy." Simple acts of decency can resonate for a lot longer than we might think. RIP, Billy.
SherryHall

« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2013, 01:59:24 PM »

I had the same experience. I was new to coaching and knew very few people in the HS community. He told me that "all us southern coaches stick together" and that "Stratford academy is one of his favorite competitors from the south." It was a small gesture but really made a difference my first year at the SBF.
SherryHall

« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2013, 02:00:26 PM »

In 1998 when we were talking about starting an NFL District in Arkansas he offered to drive to Little Rock on his dime to run the district tournament? Who the hell does that? The world's better off because of decent people like him.
SherryHall

« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2013, 02:01:26 PM »

I see on fb that Billy Tate died; he made MBA my favorite debate tournament for years - great hospitality; great person. And keeping things to 1 team/school made that an extremely competitive and unique tournament. RIP Billy...
SherryHall

« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2013, 02:02:33 PM »

I am so glad that I finally attended the MBA tournament in January and was able to see Billy Tate in his element. He will be sorely missed. I hope that St. Peter laid on "heavy hors d’oeuvres and refreshments" for his reception.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8
  Print  

Jump to: