College Policy Debate Forums
November 21, 2017, 06:08:56 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: IF YOU EXPERIENCE PROBLEMS WITH THE SITE, INCLUDING LOGGING IN, PLEASE LET ME KNOW IMMEDIATELY.  EMAIL ME DIRECTLY OR USE THE CONTACT US LINK AT THE TOP.

Home   Help Search Login Register CEDA caselist Debate Results Council of Tournament Directors Edebate Archive  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 2013-2014 Wording Options Cheat Sheet  (Read 4355 times)
johnpkoch

« on: June 05, 2013, 04:17:57 PM »

Some people have asked given the larger than usual topic wording ballot this year if I would create a document that describes each of the wording options. The attached document expresses my views alone and should not in any way be read as coming from the topic committee (as I am not on it), any members of the topic committee (as it was not any of them that asked), or as speaking on behalf of the topic controversy paper authors (we consistently agree on few things). I tried my best to keep my own opinions out of this document and to the best of my ability describe what each wording means for the types of affirmatives that could be read under each option. For some of you, my notes will largely be a huge FYI, as lists are fairly self-explanatory, but it could serve as a helpful cheat sheet of the differences between each option. I will not respond on here to debate the relative merits of each wording. However, I will respond to clarification inquiries. Hopefully some of you will find this helpful---John

* cheatsheetwordingoptions.doc (30 KB - downloaded 1458 times.)
« Last Edit: June 05, 2013, 09:09:02 PM by johnpkoch » Logged
Brossmann

« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2013, 05:24:30 PM »

Very kind of you, John.  Much appreciated.
kevin kuswa

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2013, 10:07:30 AM »

Not too much discussion on the options this time around...having had a chance to do a bit more reading since the topic committee, especially on some of the ways solvency will work (or not work), I would encourage folks to strongly consider this wording option:

2. Resolved: The war powers authority of the President of the United States should be substantially restricted.

It is to the point, tested, flexible, balanced, and great for getting new debaters involved.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: