College Policy Debate Forums
September 23, 2018, 02:23:40 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: IF YOU EXPERIENCE PROBLEMS WITH THE SITE, INCLUDING LOGGING IN, PLEASE LET ME KNOW IMMEDIATELY.  EMAIL ME DIRECTLY OR USE THE CONTACT US LINK AT THE TOP.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: SOP and elim seeding  (Read 2742 times)
glarson

« on: October 08, 2013, 02:43:43 PM »

Three different individuals made inquiries this weekend as to why I don't seed elims using SOP or something similar.  The argument has both an empirical and a philosophical dimension so I took some time to briefly describe the issue and look at Kentucky and GSU data.  I'm open to the community having this discussion.  Since my post is longer than is comfortably read in this window, I'm attaching it as a pdf document

* SOP for determining seeds.pdf (64.6 KB - downloaded 666 times.)
glarson

« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2013, 03:39:20 PM »

Since the data from Kentucky and GSU is all released publicly, I've supplied a spreadsheet that has Kentucky on one tab and GSU on another.  Given all of the variables collected, you can experiment with reordering the sort and or creating simple (or complex) formulas for aggregate variables - SOP for example is the sum of SEED and Average OPP Seed.

The easy part is to create a new sort or a new composite variable.  The hard part is defending why it represents a "better" outcome than some other choice.  That's the task going forward (if we were to consider change).

GARY

* SOP seeding.xlsx (44.85 KB - downloaded 401 times.)
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: