College Policy Debate Forums
September 24, 2018, 03:19:40 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: IF YOU EXPERIENCE PROBLEMS WITH THE SITE, INCLUDING LOGGING IN, PLEASE LET ME KNOW IMMEDIATELY.  EMAIL ME DIRECTLY OR USE THE CONTACT US LINK AT THE TOP.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Question Regarding Blacklisting Teams from the Harvard Tournament  (Read 3812 times)
Amber Kelsie

« on: October 22, 2013, 07:08:20 PM »

As I understand it, Harvard has decided to drop two Towson teams from the rHoster even though the two spots for them are there, without explanation.  The students are attempting to register not under the Towson Policy Team but the Towson Speech and Debate Student Group, funded by the Student Government Association, which also funds their endeavors and is out of the purview of the DoF.

Can a team be denied the ability attend a tournament because they are a student group?  CUNY runs this way, as has UMASS Amherst in the past and others.  Does this not violate CEDA's guidelines?  The teams were removed with no notice, no statement, just quietly taken off the list on tabroom.

I would be interested in hearing from Sherry Hall some explanation of why she will not allow this student group to attend a debate tournament. How can you withdraw a team without giving a reason for doing so?  Especially when Sherry Hall made this same argument regarding Greg Achten no so long ago?

This sounds like black-listing to me.

http://www.cedadebate.org/forum/index.php?topic=947.0
BrianDeLong

« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2013, 09:04:54 PM »

Has there been an email exchange with Harvard on this issue? Is this a tabroom problem?
SherryHall

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2013, 09:55:29 PM »

The Director of the program along with the Chair of the Communications Department at Towson wrote me on October 17 to say that the University had decided that the debaters could not travel to the Harvard tournament.  They were dropped from the tournament by the Director, not by anyone at Harvard.

It is my understanding that there is still some negotiation going on at the University.  We are willing to see what the University position is regarding the travel.  The University has said that they will make a decision and release a statement on this matter tomorrow afternoon.  We are waiting to see what that decision is. While we are currently full, we will make the effort to accommodate them, by putting a round in a hallway, if that is consistent with the position of the University.

We have been in communication with the debaters involved.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2013, 09:57:30 PM by SherryHall » Logged
Taki183

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2013, 10:46:28 PM »

Will the costume contest still happen?
chunsr5

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2013, 10:52:17 PM »

Wtf? I guess you think you are funny but back the fuck off. This is this isn't something to joke about. You're not funny you're a grade A jackass.
Taki183

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2013, 10:59:25 PM »

Wtf? I guess you think you are funny but back the fuck off. This is this isn't something to joke about. You're not funny you're a grade A jackass.

I was just wondering. I spent a lot of money on my costume and I don't want it to be for nothing.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: