College Policy Debate Forums
September 25, 2018, 05:38:40 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: IF YOU EXPERIENCE PROBLEMS WITH THE SITE, INCLUDING LOGGING IN, PLEASE LET ME KNOW IMMEDIATELY.  EMAIL ME DIRECTLY OR USE THE CONTACT US LINK AT THE TOP.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: MPJ at Wake  (Read 1501 times)
glarson

« on: November 01, 2013, 09:39:34 AM »

Since the questions will inevitably start to come, let me offer some clarifications.

Mike Davis reasonably asks, "does this mean 50 (pref)/30 (mutual)"?

Yes, no and not quite.  Whereas the original experiment didn't attempt to maximize pref at all, the actual procedure will.  But it will not make absolute promises about a maximum pref threshold for presets or in-it debates.  Much of the "exclusion" happens when you say that a you won't assign any judged ranked higher than 50 for either team.  Depending on tournament and how diverse teams and judges might be, it is distinctly possible that a judge would not fit into any debate using that threshold.  In fact, it has happened that a judge is not ranked in the top 50% by more than 1 or 2 teams in a tournament, meaning that they will never meet the 50% threshold.  The actual practice at Wake will be to relax the 50% threshold if necessary to eliminate such exclusion.  At Kentucky it was relaxed to 55% for in-it debates.  Because of volunteered rounds, the threshold was reduced in round 8.  But at Wake the goal is to not pref folks out at all if at all possible.  So we are not asking for extra commitment or volunteered rounds.  The program will do the best it can with the judges that are obligated.  So there won't be an ironclad promise of an upper threshold - though we're not talking about a large change.

Just for context, the highest pref for in-it teams each round at Kentucky was 55.7, 49.3, 51.1, 49.8, 47.4, 52.8, 53.2, 39.2 (due to the volunteered rounds).

The mutuality window at Kentucky was 25 and I anticipate continuing that margin.  It should be noted that VERY few rounds approach that boundary however, with the average mutuality difference typically being less than 9 or 10.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: