College Policy Debate Forums
July 20, 2018, 11:53:37 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: IF YOU EXPERIENCE PROBLEMS WITH THE SITE, INCLUDING LOGGING IN, PLEASE LET ME KNOW IMMEDIATELY.  EMAIL ME DIRECTLY OR USE THE CONTACT US LINK AT THE TOP.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: MPJ in Wake elims  (Read 1312 times)
glarson

« on: November 01, 2013, 10:22:47 AM »

Several have asked how elims would likely work with respect to thresholds for pref and mutuality.

The program will use exactly the same logic that it always uses in judge assignment for elims with the only caveat being that it will ensure proportional representation of black and non-mail critics based on the total number of judges still available in the pool for each elimination round.

As a result, I can't give an ironclad prediction of an upper threshold, since it depends on who is still debating, who is still obligated to judge and who has volunteered at that point in the tournament.  Particularly in late elims it is always a function of who is left, with or without the constraint of proportional representation.  It should be noted that one of the "reasons" for disproportionate representation is that at many tournaments I end up with a max pref of closer to 30 and an average pref of less than 10.  That is where MPJ proves to be most "exclusionary" or should I say that it's where our practice permits it to be exclusionary.  If, instead of creating the best prefs possible, I add the proportionality constraint, I suspect that it doubles and octas, it will be relatively easy to provide proportionality with only a relatively small increase in the average or maximum pref.  With 5-judge panels, I suspect that we will have a max in the 40's or 50's.  The max for doubles at Kentucky (which I believe met proportionality entirely) was 46.8.

Later than octas, it will be a somewhat new experience.  I can't make any promises as to how low we will have to go.  But I am promising that we will provide proportionality as long as it is possible and that we will maintain mutuality throughout.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: