College Policy Debate Forums
June 24, 2018, 12:09:12 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: IF YOU EXPERIENCE PROBLEMS WITH THE SITE, INCLUDING LOGGING IN, PLEASE LET ME KNOW IMMEDIATELY.  EMAIL ME DIRECTLY OR USE THE CONTACT US LINK AT THE TOP.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Round Robin in March  (Read 24213 times)
gabemurillo

« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2013, 11:30:47 AM »

Aaron,

here's some questions if you don't mind:

1) how does debating "exclusively about the topic" apply to negative strategies? Are K alternatives allowed on the neg? If a team wins that a counterplan distracts from topic education (and therefore not exclusively about the topic) is the negative then subject to the enforcement mechanism?

2) who decides what's topical - is it just that the affirmative has to defend the USFG, or is it that they have to be exclusively about the topic? what does that mean for extra and effects t affs? what if someone writes a plan text incorrectly are they allowed to argue reasonability or are they subject to the enforcement mechanism?

3) what's the enforcement mechanism?

4) is acceptance first come first serve? if no, how are you going to decide who is invited and who is not.

5) what will your tournament do to address judge diversity?

6) starting a non-profit is quite the endeavor, I'd like to ask some organizational questions
a) what's the mission statement of your non-profit
b) what's your donor base?
c) do you plan on establishing a board for your non-profit or will you be making all the decisions yourself?
d) what percentage of the money raised will go directly to "diversity" programs and what percentage will go to other goals (like tournaments etc)
d) what organizations have you talked to to establish the need for a new non-profit instead of raising money for a current organizations?

7) i noticed that your non-profit is going to start funding "topic only" tournaments like the one your hosting - this brings a bunch of questions
a) how does this address diversity (which I thought was the goal of the non-profit)?
b) how many tournaments are you looking to host and would you expect them to be "fair game" for 1st round rankings?
c) what's the independent enforcement mechanism your non-profit will try to put in place
d) what "other tournaments" are you working with? Surely these programs should be proud to announce their affiliation with your organization.

Cool what are the "variety of mechanisms" you plan to use to bring policy debate to underprivileged students? I'm sure you've already talked to people who run various urban debate leagues about the potential of your fundraising to trade off with their fundraising by forcing them to compete with your non-profit organization for a limited set of "debate donors". Would you only target the donors of UDL's that you don't feel are "policy" enough? Which ones are those? Given that those programs work tirelessly to fundraise for their students, and implement long-term fundraising strategies, I'm sure they'd love to know they've got competition coming. 

9) what rules "govern the topic"? Do you mean the rules that "govern" debate (like no clipping, time limits etc) or are you making up that there are actual RULES that govern the topic?

10) what will the tournaments "enforcement" mechanism be for clipping cards? Are people who have previously been caught clipping cards allowed at the tournament, or is their rule breaking considered acceptable?

11) what does it mean to debate in a "civil" manner?

12) I agree PRL is kind of boring - can I suggest one of my good friends suggestion for your new name? I really like the Policy Only Opt-in Program its catchy and succinct

thanks

gabe

PNWDebate

« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2013, 01:34:47 PM »

I really like the Policy Only Opt-in Program its catchy and succinct

My sides, I'm dying of laughter.
jtedebate

« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2013, 09:52:59 AM »

Who would go to such a RR at that point in the year?  It wouldn't be NDT/CEDA sanctioned or count toward anything but Hardy's misplaced ego. 
Paul Elliott Johnson

« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2013, 10:40:44 AM »

I recall there being a policy RR a bit more than a decade ago, and I think a fair number of people did go. It however lacked any architecture that gestured at some kind of future debate direction. People wanted to have some policy debates or whatever, and I think it lacked any enforcement mechanism beyond some kind of social compact.
Hester

« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2013, 03:58:11 PM »

If a team wins that a counterplan distracts from topic education (and therefore not exclusively about the topic) is the negative then subject to the enforcement mechanism?

a former UWG debater once made the argument that only topical CPs should be allowed. Seems like a reasonable interpretation for a tournament with such parameters.
Lwrnc

« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2014, 02:31:40 PM »

There are 3 student-run (hopefully for not much longer) programs (UIUC, U Chicago, and Wash U) within easy driving distance of NU, and an invitation to a round robin at NORTHWESTERN UNIVERSITY would probably great for attracting administrator attention.  Should we be punished for attempting to attend a debate tournament when our intention is to attend a debate tournament during spring break (so that it doesn't interfere with school), and (rather than being racist), or punished for affirming accessibility and regional travel (the tournament doesn't count for points)? 
I also don't understand what's theoretically wrong with substantive limits on debate.  If substantive limits are bad, then why do we have a resolution, and why are judges willing to vote on T? 
asngltn2

« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2014, 01:15:32 PM »

The University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign is interested, here is my email asngltn2@illinois.edu
lido

« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2014, 08:34:05 PM »

an invitation to a round robin at NORTHWESTERN UNIVERSITY would probably great

First Let me make clear that this post represents my own views, and I do not speak on behalf of Northwestern or any of its coaches or debaters.

Short version
I am independently hosting a round robin in Chicago, March 8-9. The full invite will be posted soon. The tournament is open to anyone who would like to attend the only stipulation is that teams must opt-in to debate exclusively about the topic, subject to an enforcement mechanism. The idea is to remove the burden of rules enforcement from the debaters and allow debates to focus more on substantive discussion.
Lwrnc

« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2014, 09:30:58 PM »

an invitation to a round robin at NORTHWESTERN UNIVERSITY would probably great

First Let me make clear that this post represents my own views, and I do not speak on behalf of Northwestern or any of its coaches or debaters.

Short version
I am independently hosting a round robin in Chicago, March 8-9. The full invite will be posted soon. The tournament is open to anyone who would like to attend the only stipulation is that teams must opt-in to debate exclusively about the topic, subject to an enforcement mechanism. The idea is to remove the burden of rules enforcement from the debaters and allow debates to focus more on substantive discussion.
Sorry.
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: