College Policy Debate Forums
January 22, 2018, 10:14:19 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: IF YOU EXPERIENCE PROBLEMS WITH THE SITE, INCLUDING LOGGING IN, PLEASE LET ME KNOW IMMEDIATELY.  EMAIL ME DIRECTLY OR USE THE CONTACT US LINK AT THE TOP.

Home   Help Search Login Register CEDA caselist Debate Results Council of Tournament Directors Edebate Archive  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Graduate assistantship at Baylor University  (Read 1196 times)
DrScott

« on: January 23, 2014, 11:59:52 AM »

Baylor University encourages interested graduating seniors to apply for a graduate assistantship in Communication Studies beginning in the Fall of the 2014-2015 academic year. The graduate assistantship covers tuition and includes a VERY competitive stipend (approximately $14,200).

If you are interested, please email Dr. Matt Gerber <matt_gerber@baylor.edu> or Dr. Scott Varda scott_varda@baylor.edu as soon as possible. The application review process begins on February 1st, but qualified applicants (good GRE scores, decent GPA, desire and ability to work with the debate team) who contact us before the Feb 1st deadline can apply as late as mid-February.

Interested students can begin our application process here: https://www.baylor.edu/graduate/gobaylor/index.php?id=99641

Brief Baylor information:
Baylor University’s 1,000-acre campus is located on the banks of the Brazos River next to freeway I-35, between the Dallas-Fort Worth Metroplex and Austin. Baylor is the oldest continuously operating university in Texas and one of the oldest west of the Mississippi. To repeat: Dallas and Austin are both 90 minutes away. 

What roles do debate graduate assistants play at Baylor?
Our graduate assistants usually teach part of the large lecture introduction to public speaking class. In addition, working closely with Matt and Scott, the debate assistants are involved in as much of the coaching as they desire: including argument construction, pre-round coaching, our summer institute, travel decisions, and administration of tournament travel.

What is the current Baylor coaching staff looking for in a graduate assistant?
A student who will graduate on time with a Master degree and has useful debate insights to offer our students. NDT qualification as an undergraduate is not required, though it is preferred. We travel a hybrid regional (D3) national schedule and appreciate the desire to learn, teach, and win. The current team is a group of policy/critical leaning debaters who appreciate flexibility in their argument selection.

I only do policy debate, and don’t want to deal with kritiks.
This is in no way an impediment to coaching with us.

I only want to research critical arguments, and I can’t cut politics cards.

I am mostly a “performance” debater.

In short, if you are a graduating senior who wants a Master’s degree at a great communication studies program, and wants to coach debate while you work on your degree, we strongly encourage you to apply.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: