College Policy Debate Forums
November 22, 2017, 09:23:17 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: IF YOU EXPERIENCE PROBLEMS WITH THE SITE, INCLUDING LOGGING IN, PLEASE LET ME KNOW IMMEDIATELY.  EMAIL ME DIRECTLY OR USE THE CONTACT US LINK AT THE TOP.

Home   Help Search Login Register CEDA caselist Debate Results Council of Tournament Directors Edebate Archive  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Controversy Area Groups--Early Steps  (Read 3453 times)
kevin kuswa

« on: February 04, 2014, 11:25:15 AM »

Hi all,

There is a google topic writing group started by Jason Russell doing some good work on topic writing and goals for wordings.  As that work continues, we would also like to see controversy area groups come together and start the writing/brainstorming on particular areas.

Who is planning to work on a controversy and what is your current vision?  Keep in mind, collaboration makes the burden of writing more reasonable and it is a lot of fun to work with other people on a big project like this.

Also, if you are interested, I would be happy to write a letter on behalf of any controversy paper author (for their resume or otherwise) about the importance of the process, the size of the audience who reads the work, the editing and vetting that goes into it, and the specialization of advocating an area for research.  It is a valuable service to the community.

There is talk of a reparations topic coming from Jonah and the Cal folks.
There is a lot of talk about a prisons topic and we're hoping to get a big group together on that.  Who is interested?
What else? 

Let us know here or feel free to back-channel me or anyone else on the committee.

Question?  Ideas about an area? Interested in helping but have no preference on what area?  Contact me over email or find me at Texas and share your thoughts.

Sincerely,

Kevin

kevin kuswa

« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2014, 01:07:20 PM »

Various controversy areas coming together--some as "hopes," others as "collaborative research groups."  If you are interested in joining one or more of these, chime in on the college policy fb group or let me know and I'll try to point you in the right direction.  It might also help if people posted plans here in order to improve coordination.  Thanks to Dan for taking the lead on that.

If I'm missing something or a new possibility emerges, let us know.  The more time we have and the more collaboration we can encourage, the better the papers will be.  A good topic requires a good controversy paper.  "Liking" an area in an on-line poll does not do much without a paper to go along with that area.

Tentative areas thus far (at least areas where it seems as though one or more people are planning to produce a paper):

Education
Reparations
Prisons
Tax policy--Econ Focus
Poverty
Labor
Latin America
Treaties (perhaps reverse treaties)

The more the better--and do not forget to vote for your Grad/Undergrad TC Reps.

sarabethbrooks

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2014, 12:02:24 PM »

The education topic group is working off a googlegroup, folks can contact Dan if they want to be involved with that paper. stanfield.dan@gmail.com.
misslindsayv

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2014, 11:42:14 AM »

I'm in charge of Labor and Labor Unions. Working from google drive. misslindsayv@gmail.com
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: