College Policy Debate Forums
June 20, 2018, 11:40:40 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: IF YOU EXPERIENCE PROBLEMS WITH THE SITE, INCLUDING LOGGING IN, PLEASE LET ME KNOW IMMEDIATELY.  EMAIL ME DIRECTLY OR USE THE CONTACT US LINK AT THE TOP.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: NDT District Alternates  (Read 1566 times)
mikaela

« on: February 12, 2014, 12:07:32 PM »

Hello all,

With district tournaments coming up soon, I wanted to raise a question I've had since last year's NDT. In 2013 our district (D6) designated an NDT alternate based on the tournament, like usual. From posted districts results it appears that D1, D4, D5, D7, and D8 designated alternates as well. Shortly before the NDT, one of the teams qualifying out of D6 had to drop out. As I understand it, many people thought the "alternate" D6 team, Georgia Tech JS, would be competing at the NDT in their place, and Georgia Tech secured funding and transportation for the tournament. However, it turned out that there had been a rule change that meant that the spot went to a team from (I believe) the 2nd round pool. Tech still attended because they'd already bought plane tickets, which did allow Ricardo to live-stream the final round, which I think people really appreciated. But, I thought what happened was a huge bummer for Tech, and hope nothing similar happens to another team due to confusion about the rule. 

My question is what the rule says now regarding who replaces a district-qualified team in the event of a dropout. If all instances result in the spot going to a 2nd round team, is there any purpose to designating district alternates? I.e., is there any scenario for those alternates debating at the NDT if someone from their district doesn't go?
John Fritch

« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2014, 01:41:10 PM »

Below is the rule.

3. Should teams withdraw or become ineligible for the tournament after their qualification:
a. their bid will go to the highest rated team in the Second Round At-Large
selection not having qualified.

b. if procedure a fails to provide a team the bid will go to the next highest rated
team in the Second Round At-Large selection not having qualified.
c. if procedures (a) or (b) fail to provide a team the tournament Director is
authorized to designate a team.

Some districts might select an alternate or runner-up for purposes other than serving as a possible replacement (such as publicity on a campus).

I hope that helps.
mikaela

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2014, 02:05:28 PM »

Thank you!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: