College Policy Debate Forums
September 25, 2018, 05:38:07 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: IF YOU EXPERIENCE PROBLEMS WITH THE SITE, INCLUDING LOGGING IN, PLEASE LET ME KNOW IMMEDIATELY.  EMAIL ME DIRECTLY OR USE THE CONTACT US LINK AT THE TOP.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 2014 Hoosier Debate Camp  (Read 3676 times)
BrianDeLong

« on: February 12, 2014, 04:39:17 PM »

Hello,

http://www.iub.edu/~iudebate/debatecamp2014.shtml

The 3rd Annual Hoosier Debate Camp will be hiring lab instructors and a dorm/office manager for this yearís summer camp. The dates for the camp are June 28 Ė July 12th. We cater to all three major forms of high school debate Policy, PF, and LD. We are also going to include congressional debate this year with possible assistance from Lee Hamiltonís center on congress (http://congress.indiana.edu). All qualified applicants should apply!

Please submit a resume and an application letter that includes the following:
1) Debate experience including teaching and coaching experience.
2) Your willingness, preference and expertise in running a lab in either of the four categories of debate.
3) Any conflicts you may have with the dates listed above.

Please review the IU policies on programs regarding children, located here: http://policies.iu.edu/policies/categories/administration-operations/public-safety-institutional-assurance/PS-01.shtml. Notice that a background check is required before you can be hired by the camp.

Please submit your documents to the Indiana University Director of Debate by Feb 21st.

Thank you,

Brian DeLong
IU Director of Debate
Brdelong@indiana.edu
812-856-7585
jregnier

« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2014, 10:11:36 AM »

I really like this.  Though nobody intends to be evil about it, the cronyism of how most camp jobs are given is pretty suspect.  It's a great idea to put it more in line with other types of job application processes.  Thanks for doing this.  I hope other people model it.
jgonzo

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2014, 05:28:27 PM »

I really like this.  Though nobody intends to be evil about it, the cronyism of how most camp jobs are given is pretty suspect.  It's a great idea to put it more in line with other types of job application processes.  Thanks for doing this.  I hope other people model it.

^^What he said.^^
Lwrnc

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2014, 04:44:17 PM »

When Iím available (which sadly, isnít very often), I try to volunteer rounds to the Saint Louis NFL and UDL circuits.  I will be at the STL NFL district tournament, where I will be glad to recommend your camp.  I seriously enjoy the fact that your camp is open to applications beyond merely your close friends.  The role of a debate camp is not to offer your friends employment, but to sell meaningful coaching Ė camps can only continue to exist while they are financially sustainable, for which reason the first priority of a debate camp is to offer the highest quality instruction available, which requires a review of more individuals than your close friends.   I would like to affirm this model of instructor selection by advocating it to high school students.  Increased demand for the Hoosier Debate Camp encourages other camps to also open up their slots for lab leaders to the broader community, in turn increasing the quality of their instruction. 
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: