College Policy Debate Forums
November 19, 2017, 03:23:14 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: IF YOU EXPERIENCE PROBLEMS WITH THE SITE, INCLUDING LOGGING IN, PLEASE LET ME KNOW IMMEDIATELY.  EMAIL ME DIRECTLY OR USE THE CONTACT US LINK AT THE TOP.

Home   Help Search Login Register CEDA caselist Debate Results Council of Tournament Directors Edebate Archive  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Decriminalize Topic  (Read 4686 times)
jamesherndon3

« on: April 15, 2014, 01:57:52 PM »

I am working on a topic paper that I have started calling the ‘Decriminalization topic.’  The idea is simple – the aff gets to say that it should not be criminal to engage in certain activities. 

First part – Stem topic stuff.  My current research efforts are aimed at figuring out legalize vs decriminalize vs make legal.  There is also a desire, among people I talk to, to add a modifying phrase that isn’t as useless as ‘substantially’ but could function in a way to help out both the aff and the neg.

Second part – Areas.  This is where I could use some assistance from the community.  I would love for people to volunteer to work on area sections to put into the paper. 
Though there are Emory people helping with some areas, there is room for more.  So far, I have found solvency advocates for:
Marijuana
Illicit Drugs
Prostitution
Physician Assisted Suicide
Online Poker
Human Organ Sales

I also found some literature, but as yet either no solvency work OR a fear of it being too unwieldy for the following:
Drug Use in Sports
Immigration
File Downloading/File Sharing

If you want to work on any of these areas, or others, let me know.

So that people have a general idea, the topic would be something along the lines of: The USFG should legalize one or more of the following: marijuana use, illicit drug use, prostitution, physician assisted suicide, online poker, human organ sales, or illegal downloading.
-OR-
One or more of the following ought not be a federal crime: [insert list]

The topic action would be broad enough to include several areas.  So, I am open to assistance.  Please email me if you have a desire to work on any of the areas between now and the 27th so that we can submit a paper in time.

Email me if you are interested.  Gmail account
James Herndon 3 – one word.
kevin kuswa

« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2014, 02:17:35 PM »

James,

This is very interesting work, thanks for organizing it.  As a quick thought on some other areas--other types of gambling?  Also, even though it is "legal," you might think about adding abortion or other reproductive freedoms to the list as an aff area that would pre-empt state restrictions.  I haven't thought about it too much, but the States CP (or State Courts) is an issue--and maybe a reason to think about a version that is passive voice.

Kevin
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: