College Policy Debate Forums
December 11, 2018, 12:03:32 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: IF YOU EXPERIENCE PROBLEMS WITH THE SITE, INCLUDING LOGGING IN, PLEASE LET ME KNOW IMMEDIATELY.  EMAIL ME DIRECTLY OR USE THE CONTACT US LINK AT THE TOP.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Richard Sodikow  (Read 25502 times)
SherryHall

« on: May 05, 2014, 09:06:08 PM »

From Kirby Chin:

It is with much sadness I inform you that Richard Sodikow -- my teacher, mentor and, most importantly, friend -- passed away last evening. I know to many of you that Richard was that and so much more and will be remembered as someone who positively influenced all of our lives.

I will share memorial and other information at a later time.

The Bronx Science Speech & Debate Team Alumni of the Bronx Science Speech & Debate Team
SherryHall

« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2014, 09:08:57 PM »

Rest in peace, Richard Sodikow. Your passion for debate and speech was unparalleled, and ignited a spark in my life and many others' lives. Generations of us owe you a debt we can only begin to repay by igniting similar sparks. Thank you for challenging me, for inspiring me, and for calling me your debater. I am both lucky and proud to have been your student. Thanks, Coach. ‪#‎RBS‬
SherryHall

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2014, 09:12:20 PM »

It is with great sadness that I share the news of the passing of Richard Sodikow, the founder of The Bronx Science Speech & Debate Team and a man I was fortunate to call my great friend and my great mentor. For those of my friends who are past or present members of the world of Speech & Debate, you know that no words can express the loss our community has suffered with his passing. For those of my friends who are not, I will simply say this: you know that I have often said I feel like the luckiest person on Earth. I have an incredible job where I get to work with incredible students day in and day out and direct a program full of history and tradition. I have that incredible job, with all that incredible history and tradition, thanks to Richard. His thirty years of leadership at Bronx Science, and the tradition carried on by Kirby Chin and Joseph Gazzola after his retirement, set the stage for the past nine unbelievable years at Bronx Science for me. I will work hard for the rest of my career at Bronx Science to honor his legacy of excellence as a teacher, a coach, and a leader. And I will always remember his great friendship. Richard, I love you and miss you.

I will share memorial and other information at a later time.

Our team page has a memorial here:

https://www.facebook.com/bxspeechdebate/posts/626595480760897?stream_ref=10
SherryHall

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2014, 09:13:26 PM »

Sad to hear of Richard's passing. He was truly a great coach and a genuinely kind man.
SherryHall

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2014, 09:14:06 PM »

Well, damn. I'm sorry Jon.
SherryHall

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2014, 09:14:38 PM »

Damn...RIP Mr. Sodikow
SherryHall

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2014, 09:15:04 PM »

very very sad. great man he was. always so kind to me. my condolences
SherryHall

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2014, 09:15:38 PM »

Rip. Mr Sodikow (koh!). You taught us all not just forensics but life! And we each owe some aspects of our various successes to you sir. Also some of our high blood pressure problems too.
SherryHall

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2014, 09:16:07 PM »

Oh, Jon. This breaks my heart. I am so sorry for your loss and the loss being felt by the Bronx Science forensics family and the national debate family at large. I know there is not much I can say except you and those close to him are in my thoughts an prayers.
SherryHall

« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2014, 09:16:44 PM »

So many memories. All my condolences to Bronx, Kirby, Robert and you, Jon
SherryHall

« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2014, 09:17:09 PM »

Richard was a towering figure of my competition years, and a kind, fatherly mentor when I started coaching. Another of the great men of our activity has passed from the stage. May he rest in peace.
SherryHall

« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2014, 09:17:46 PM »

Though opposite of his traditional signal to begin the tournament, a hearty "open the doors" seems more appropriate for him tonight. Our thoughts are with his family and the Bronx family, Jon.
SherryHall

« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2014, 10:07:44 PM »

was shocked to learn, just now, of the passing of Richard Sodikow, perhaps my very best friend in the national debate community. I knew him for more than 30 years; taught with him; learned from him. We had scores of students in common. No one who knew him will ever forget him. ("There is no one I would rather honor.") Rest in peace dear beloved great friend
SherryHall

« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2014, 10:08:27 PM »

This is sad news indeed, for everyone who knew him and was influenced by him and who was pummeled into an arena of thinking, and sparring, and clarifying, and supporting and challenging and rebutting and--you know the rest. So sad.
SherryHall

« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2014, 10:08:58 PM »

This is very sad news. One of the most influential coaches in decades.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: