College Policy Debate Forums
September 25, 2018, 03:28:13 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: IF YOU EXPERIENCE PROBLEMS WITH THE SITE, INCLUDING LOGGING IN, PLEASE LET ME KNOW IMMEDIATELY.  EMAIL ME DIRECTLY OR USE THE CONTACT US LINK AT THE TOP.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Richard Sodikow  (Read 24128 times)
SherryHall

« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2014, 10:09:34 PM »

He was a presence for sure. Very sorry to hear that. Of all the debate quotes I'll never forget, "prick your finger and bleed on the flow" is right up at the top. It's an understatement to mention that he ran a top-flight tournament as well. Sad day.
SherryHall

« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2014, 10:11:50 PM »

My condolences to his family and the forensics family that loved him and meant so much to him. Though I haven't had the pleasure of seeing him in many years, I was always touched that he remembered my name and he was such a joy to share a joke with.
SherryHall

« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2014, 10:12:35 PM »

During National #ThankATeacherWeek There was no one as profoundly impactful on my becoming a teacher, principal, and leader as Mr. Sodikow. His inspiration lives on in all of us who he influenced, challenged, and supported. Our deepest condolences to his family and friends.
SherryHall

« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2014, 10:13:11 PM »

I never met the man, but I always felt his legacy pervading the team and driving it forward. I'm sure he passed knowing that the team he built provides hundreds of kids the opportunity to grow as individuals to this day. It takes a great man to build a great institution like the BXDT. It is with this thought that I realize that I am forever in his debt.
SherryHall

« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2014, 10:13:39 PM »

My heart is breaking this evening, but I am comforted by this man's HUGE legacy and lasting impression on my life and so many others.
SherryHall

« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2014, 10:14:14 PM »

He was a true friend and a leader of high standards and ethics. I will always remember, "Close the doors!" at the beginning of the Bronx tournament. Richard was a true gentleman. My prayers to all his friends and students.
SherryHall

« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2014, 10:21:12 PM »

Very sorry to hear of the passing of Richard Sodikow. I had the good fortune of having some time to speak with him during the Barkley Forum when I was still a student at Emory, and then a few other times as a new coach/teacher of debate. Even twenty plus years later when I saw that he had"endorsed" me on LinkedIn I was genuinely flattered. He was a powerful educator and a class act.
SherryHall

« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2014, 10:26:41 PM »

So very sad to hear about the death of Richard Sodikow. He was the coach of Lakeland's best friend-rivals at Bronx Science. So many happy memories, and probably none of it possible without Mr. Sodikow. A brilliant man characterized by his wit, charm, courtesy, and integrity. A great teacher. His memory will be for a blessing.
SherryHall

« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2014, 10:27:28 PM »

Really sorry to hear about the passing of Richard Sodikow. Certainly someone who will not soon be forgotten.
SherryHall

« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2014, 10:28:47 PM »

Richard Sodikow wasn't just a legend; here in the Northeast he was, is, and will remain THE legend. My condolences go out to all Bronx Debate alumni who graduated under his leadership, his colleagues, and most especially to you, Jon. I will be sure to share this information with John Beall here at Collegiate, who remembers Richard well. We also intend to prominently display the Richard Sodikow Cup at our Team Dinner next week; I will be sure to explain the man behind the trophy to our team then. Richard's impact will live on.
SherryHall

« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2014, 10:29:31 PM »

I will never forget meeting the legend himself, and his inexplicable capability to assess a teams attire in the blink of an eye. To a founder that has definitively changed the lives of many who have walked through our high school, Rest in Peace.
SherryHall

« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2014, 10:30:13 PM »

Rest in Peace, Richard. Richard was one of the true characters of the debate world and someone who obviously took great joy in the activity as a whole and the development of young people in that activity. I always enjoyed my interactions with Richard, no matter how tetchy he was being at the time.
SherryHall

« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2014, 10:31:21 PM »

I just received devastating news. My high school speech/debate mentor, Richard Sodikow, has passed away. To call him a legend is an understatement. This man believed in me when no one else did, and he changed my life. Please say a prayer for him and his family... and if you have a favorite teacher from your school days, reach out to them... just to say hello and thank you.
SherryHall

« Reply #28 on: May 05, 2014, 10:32:56 PM »

I've been shaken up for a few hours about what precisely I should say about how grateful I am to have had Richard Sodikow in my life. I just wanted to scribble a few notes about the things this man taught me: how to tie a tie, how to use chopsticks, how to present yourself at a formal event (one hand in the pockets, not two), how to bully someone and how to stand up to bullies. I had to learn that lesson quickly because he was my biggest bully. He wasn't a perfect man, but in my first months in Florida, he was the closest friend I had. I knew I had finally become a good interviewer when he'd answer questions about his life that all of the team wanted to know, and then went, "I have no idea why I'm telling you all this!" I'll write something more eloquent later, but I just wanted to take a few minutes to publicly thank him for so much; for the trip to South Africa that he persuaded my parents to allow me to go on, and the trip through Asia before college; for the time he bullied the man at customs into stamping my passport even though we were traveling to Guam; for teaching me not to shy away from conflict and how to help resolve them; for bestowing on me phrases like "put the tears in the princess glass" that only make sense if said in his British-New York accent; for a network of friends around the world who I met through his debate team; for the unusual lesson in discerning films that I shant discuss on facebook (you had to be there); for teaching me to love Shakespeare, Sondheim and Mongolian BBQ; and for inducting me in the elite club of students gently tapped by his cane, which may or may not be named R. Sodikow. Some of you wonder how I got the nickname "Smooth." It stuck after I learned how easily I could go from a soft-spoken, scrawny kid to a guy whose voice could fill up a room. Mr. Sodikow taught me that trick: "Just look at the person the back of the room...and just talk to them." I never understood why he spent so much time doing what you did until I got a mentee myself, and taught him how to use chopsticks and how to tie a tie. It's been so fulfilling to impart those lessons to one person; but he did it for hundreds. Richard, you old owl, what a full life you had. I miss you so much already. Thank you.
SherryHall

« Reply #29 on: May 06, 2014, 06:27:54 AM »

If not for Richard Sodikow , I would not have debated, would not have learned how to push my own limits and believe. Mr. Sodkiow was loud and demanding and tough. He was impatient with me often, making me redo, rework, try again. Over and over and over.My brief time with him as my teacher was one of the major forks in my life. He pushed me as no one has ever pushed me to succeed - to challenge myself - first as a teacher, later as a mentor, finally, as a friend. As tough as he was, he seemed to have a soft spot for kids on the edge. I can not imagine what my life would have been without him. I owe him so much. And I was just one of a very long line of people who's lives were changed - so dramatically - for the better by him. Rest in Peace, Mr. Sodikow. I miss you already.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: