College Policy Debate Forums
November 23, 2017, 09:48:56 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: IF YOU EXPERIENCE PROBLEMS WITH THE SITE, INCLUDING LOGGING IN, PLEASE LET ME KNOW IMMEDIATELY.  EMAIL ME DIRECTLY OR USE THE CONTACT US LINK AT THE TOP.

Home   Help Search Login Register CEDA caselist Debate Results Council of Tournament Directors Edebate Archive  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Wording Paper: "The United States should"  (Read 3757 times)
BruceNajor

« on: June 08, 2014, 09:29:37 PM »

Attached.  Unfortunately I won't have much time to continue this discussion in the coming week, but I tried to address most questions/concerns I've seen brought up so far. Thank you to all members of the topic committee for their hard work!

* United States Wording Paper.docx (54.25 KB - downloaded 844 times.)

Bruce Najor
Wayne State Debate
BruceNajor[at]Gmail[dot]com
kevin kuswa

« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2014, 12:37:15 AM »

bruce, really interesting paper--good work and thanks!  i think this will help.  quick question from my brief look...would action by "The 50 States and Territories" be topical under your proposal?
BruceNajor

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2014, 12:47:24 AM »

I believe so.  See the "US Code" definition in the "definitions of United States" section.

Bruce Najor
Wayne State Debate
Adam Symonds

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2014, 05:56:56 PM »

This wording paper is really great, thanks Bruce!
BruceNajor

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2014, 11:52:08 AM »

Supplement attached re: Some concerns about "one state" affs and "one state" PICs.

* Wording paper supplement.docx (26.82 KB - downloaded 260 times.)

Bruce Najor
Wayne State Debate
Ryan Galloway

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2014, 12:26:50 PM »

I'm concerned that none of the cards that says the United States mean "several states" say that.  Only the highlighting of the cards makes it say that.  The cards say "the several states" which is just someone not saying "the FIFTY states" because the number of states has changed over time.  I would vote that those cards mean all the states.
BruceNajor

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2014, 01:18:44 PM »

Perhaps "the several" means all, and is distinct from "several," I wasn't sure myself. 

Honestly, for me, the "permutation" question is a bonus.  "The United States" lets the aff choose the agent, and if that choice is having to defend X being legal in 50 states, so be it, they should be able to answer a CP that does LESS than the plan on substance.  I don't believe "the United States" makes the States the only available actor, so if a team doesn't/can't do the research against the PIC, they can choose not to be the states.  They can be Congress, and debate the 49 or 50 states CP on the benefits of USFG vs State legalization.  If they choose to be the states, and they can't win "the several" means several, or find better ev than me, then they can debate the substance, or "CPs have to be textually and functionally competitive" or "have a solvency advocate" etc. 

Bottom line, if Dr. Galloway is correct, worst case scenario, the aff can't choose to be one state, but could still choose between being the USFG and/or the states and/or a combination (an amendment aff), and if fiating all 50 states is a terrible strategy, we have a de facto USFG topic, and lost nothing. 

Bruce Najor
Wayne State Debate
ken strange

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2014, 10:15:51 PM »

I agree with Ryan (a rare event). The phrase "the several states" is used in several important Constitutional provisions, most notably the commerce clause.  The power to regulate commerce "among the several states" clearly refers to ALL of the states.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: