College Policy Debate Forums
December 16, 2018, 09:50:26 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: IF YOU EXPERIENCE PROBLEMS WITH THE SITE, INCLUDING LOGGING IN, PLEASE LET ME KNOW IMMEDIATELY.  EMAIL ME DIRECTLY OR USE THE CONTACT US LINK AT THE TOP.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Research Survey on Diversity in Debate  (Read 3081 times)
michellevered

« on: July 18, 2014, 06:15:39 PM »

Hello,

I am an undergraduate student at Arizona State University under the supervision of Dr. Daniel Silverman. I am conducting a research study to examine unequal rates of participation and unequal outcomes according to race, gender, and regional affiliation in college policy debate.  I am recruiting Directors of Debate or Forensics or coaches whose teams have participated in the NDT in the last 10 years to fill out an online 30 minute confidential survey. Participation is limited to one representative per institution. You must be 18 years or older to participate. As compensation for participating in the research study, you will be entered in a drawing to receive a 16GB iPad.

If interested in participating, please click the link below:
https://webpool.csf.asu.edu/projects/debatesurvey/survey.php

Further information regarding the research can be obtained from the project investigator, Dr. Daniel Silverman at Daniel.Silverman.1@asu.edu or (480) 965-4832.  I can be reached at Michelle.Vered@asu.edu or (541) 520-2552. Results of this research will be reported in my honors thesis, which will be available for anyone interested. Thank you for your consideration. Your help is greatly appreciated.

Michelle Vered

gabemurillo

« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2014, 09:16:29 AM »

Michelle,

This survey is great and has the potential to be very productive. I have started filling it out but I've come to a stopping point because I'm not sure that the options provided will provide accurate data for our students and previous competitors. Any way that more options can be added? For example none of the above or other for gender and racial categories?

Thanks!
gabe

michellevered

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2014, 02:25:00 PM »

The survey questions and response categories for gender, race, and ethnicity are designed to mimic those used by the National Center for Education Statistics to allow for comparability between students participating in debate and the undergraduate population as a whole.

You may leave a question blank, or choose the response which most closely matches the primary way the person would identify themself. These are the NCES guidelines for the race/ethnicity questions:

STANDARD 1-5-1: NCES will follow OMB and Department of Education guidelines for definitions of ethnicity and race. This applies both to surveys and to collections of administrative data.

Ethnicity is based on the following categorization:
  • Hispanic or Latino: A person of Cuban, Mexican, Puerto Rican, South or Central American, or other Spanish culture or origin, regardless of race. The term "Spanish origin" can be used in addition to "Hispanic or Latino."

Race is based in the following five categorizations:
  • American Indian or Alaska Native: A person having origins in any of the original peoples of North and South America (including Central America), and who maintains tribal affiliation or community attachment.
  • Asian: A person having origins in any of the original peoples of the Far East, Southeast Asia, or the Indian subcontinent, including, for example, Cambodia, China, India, Japan, Korea, Malaysia, Pakistan, the Philippine Islands, Thailand, and Vietnam.
  • Black or African American: A person having origins in any of the black racial groups of Africa. Terms such as "Haitian" or "Negro" can be used in addition to "Black or African American." 
  • Native Hawaiian or Other Pacific Islander: A person having origins in any of the original peoples of Hawaii, Guam, Samoa, or other Pacific Islands. 
  • White: A person having origins in any of the original peoples of Europe, the Middle East, or North Africa.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: