College Policy Debate Forums
November 19, 2017, 11:34:45 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: IF YOU EXPERIENCE PROBLEMS WITH THE SITE, INCLUDING LOGGING IN, PLEASE LET ME KNOW IMMEDIATELY.  EMAIL ME DIRECTLY OR USE THE CONTACT US LINK AT THE TOP.

Home   Help Search Login Register CEDA caselist Debate Results Council of Tournament Directors Edebate Archive  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Tournament sanctioning rule change question  (Read 2233 times)
Neil Butt

« on: August 07, 2014, 12:02:03 PM »

Changes to the ADA rules, if approved by mail ballot, generally go into effect immediately (if I remember correctly).

The tournament sanctioning rule would require requests be submitted before August 1, and since that has already passed:
1. Would the rule not go into effect until next season? or
2. Will all the requests this year be considered "special circumstances" allowing the ADA Executive Committee to approve them later?
nryan

« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2014, 12:08:15 PM »

Neil,
The current rules already had the August 1 deadline:
"
2.    TOURNAMENT SANCTIONING -- For a tournament to be sanctioned by the ADA and to count for ADA Sweepstakes points, the tournament director must submit a request to be sanctioned to the President of the ADA by August 1 before the season of competition for which that tournament wishes to be sanctioned. That tournament director agrees in submitting such a request to announce in the tournament invitation that the tournament will be conducted in accordance with the American Debate Association rules, to enforce the ADA rules as the tournament director, and to submit tournament results to the Vice-President for Records within two weeks after the conclusion of the tournament. The President of the ADA in consultation with the ADA Executive Committee will approve a tournament's request by August 15 before the season of competition for which a tournament is seeking sanctioning. Tournaments that have been previously sanctioned, will remain sanctioned as long as they meet the above criteria, but do not need to submit a request to the President of the ADA. Tournament directors should make their request to the President of the ADA in written form or via e-mail. The ADA National Tournament is automatically sanctioned. Under special circumstances, the Executive Committee can vote to sanction a tournament after the August 15th deadline."
Neil Butt

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2014, 02:45:02 PM »

Yes, but if this rule passes, tournaments that might have thought they would be automatically re-sanctioned won't be--ALL ADA tournaments this year would need to submit sanctioning requests.
And requests submitted this year before August 1 may not have included the "written agreement" portions which are also part of the change.

I don't think it is a big deal, and I suspect option #2 from my original post is the answer, but I wanted to make sure.
Mike Davis

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2014, 05:17:21 PM »

It seems like it would make more sense for the rule to go into effect starting next year to allow people to plan now for their travel schedules.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: