College Policy Debate Forums
September 25, 2018, 01:23:00 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: IF YOU EXPERIENCE PROBLEMS WITH THE SITE, INCLUDING LOGGING IN, PLEASE LET ME KNOW IMMEDIATELY.  EMAIL ME DIRECTLY OR USE THE CONTACT US LINK AT THE TOP.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Matt Kennedy  (Read 8726 times)
SherryHall

« on: August 13, 2014, 03:38:33 PM »

Sad news from Cameron Ward

I wanted to wait until I made sure that his family and loved ones were informed of his passing before posting anything on FB, but once I did that I still felt like breaking this kind of news on FB might not be the right forum, but I canít hold it in anymore. My apologies to anyone who knew him and is hearing this news for the first time. The day before yesterday Matthew Kennedy died. Matt was a debater at CSUF in the early-mid 2000s (and Mercer before that I believe). Matt was one of my closest friends in debate and at CSUF overall. While I hadn't seen Matt in person in a couple of years, a couple of times each year we would touch base through text or FB. I wish that I had pushed the subject and gone to see him when I was last in NY, or stepped away from my work to see him when he was last in LA.

Matt was a great debater who saw much success. I donít know anyone who had a greater love for philosophy. He was one of the few people I knew in debate in the early 2000s who had a pretty firm grip on what Zizek (and a ton of other people who confuse the hell out of me) was saying. I can remember debating him in a practice round for the first time and thinking, I have no idea what this kid is saying, but he is clearly clued in on something that I just donít get. He helped me to understand those arguments that I just didn't get. He was a prolific card cutter who always ďhad a card on thatĒ and was delighted whenever we needed his evidence to get through a debate. His presence on our team was a real blessing.

Matt had 100 pounds of personality in a 5 pound bag. He had an outrageous sense of humor and sometimes people didnít know how to relate to him but when you got to know him, he was really a great friend. I am really glad that I got to know him. During my last 3 years at CSUF Matt and I spent a bunch of time together. We cut cards together, went to tournaments together, Played L5R and watched crazy foreign films. We ate Sushi, Yakiniku, and Shabu Shabu until we were so full we could barely see. We made pitchers of Chambord Margaritas. We traveled to other countries and talked cod shit to random strangers. We painted several towns all the way red. We had some great times.

I get sad whenever we lose a member of the extended debate family, but I am uniquely crushed by this news. Itís weird being in your 30ís and losing friends. Itís even weirder to think about the experiences that we had, especially in Japan, where he was the only other person there that I could speak with, and now he is no longer here. I wonít ever get to express to him how much his friendship meant to me, and what a huge impact he had on my debate career and my life. This post obviously wonít do that, but I couldnít just keep moving forward with my day without saying these things as loudly as possible.

Here is a pic of us from 2004 in Kyoto outside one of his favorite shrines. Hard to believe that this trip was a decade ago. RIP Matt. You were a real baller. You were a true friend. You were ďOne of godís own prototypes, never meant for mass productionĒ. You are missed.
SherryHall

« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2014, 03:39:29 PM »

Loved debating him, but I think I lost every time. This is terribly sad news, but thanks for the great post Cameron.
SherryHall

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2014, 03:39:57 PM »

thanks for the great written piece. mother-FUCK thanks a bummer. he was such an energetic person and a really punishing wit, he really took me apart every time we debated. tragedy
SherryHall

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2014, 03:40:28 PM »

I really liked him. This is shitty news. Thank you informing me, and for doing it in such a caring way. I am really upset to hear this. I hope the best for all his friends and loved ones.
SherryHall

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2014, 03:40:58 PM »

Oh my gosh. This is such sad news. I remember him fondly. Like so many of you from CSUF, he treated other debaters with kindness and respect. This is very sad news indeed.
SherryHall

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2014, 03:41:26 PM »

Wow. Heartbreaking to hear.
SherryHall

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2014, 03:42:01 PM »

Extremely sad news sending all my love to you, Matt's friends and family
SherryHall

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2014, 03:42:27 PM »

I'm in shock. My prayers are with his family and all of us who knew him and loved him so much. So sad
SherryHall

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2014, 03:42:52 PM »

Thank you for writing this Cam. My heart is heavy today.
SherryHall

« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2014, 03:43:22 PM »

I remember being at the ADI with him and being impressedóno, jealousóof his deep understanding and sharp wit.
SherryHall

« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2014, 03:43:51 PM »

Total bummer. Sorry to learn of this today. I had not seen him in some time and this is sad to hear. Much love and hugs, Cameron.
SherryHall

« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2014, 03:44:16 PM »

Mad love to you Cam. Matt was a great guy. My thoughts and prayers to all who loved him....
SherryHall

« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2014, 03:44:40 PM »

So sad. RIP Matt.
SherryHall

« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2014, 03:45:10 PM »

The worst. Rest in peace, indeed.
SherryHall

« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2014, 03:45:55 PM »

Only the good die young, that's why the world is full of busters
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: