College Policy Debate Forums
June 24, 2018, 12:46:40 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: IF YOU EXPERIENCE PROBLEMS WITH THE SITE, INCLUDING LOGGING IN, PLEASE LET ME KNOW IMMEDIATELY.  EMAIL ME DIRECTLY OR USE THE CONTACT US LINK AT THE TOP.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  
Author Topic: Matt Kennedy  (Read 8223 times)
Hester

« Reply #30 on: August 14, 2014, 09:27:18 AM »

Asher Haig informed me of this news last night when we were hanging out, and i was overcome with emotion remembering my time with Fred Kennedy.
Yep, Fred. That was the name Matt Kennedy went by before he became THE Matt Kennedy who many of you recall. At UWG, we even called him FredMatt for awhile. I got to coach he and James Thomas for a brief time, and then of course later, stayed in touch with him as he became the force of nature he developed into at CSUF.

Being saddened by friends and loved ones passing away at too young an age is not a new emotional experience, and that is also sad. But it's impossible for me to remember Matt with anything other than that goofy grin and twinkle in his eye he would have when discussing the latest twisted argument that was rolling around in his genius mind. And honoring that memory means thinking of something, anything, positive at a time like this. And what Matt's 'debate life' epitomizes for me is that this activity has been, and hopefully always will be, a home for the freaks. Fred Kennedy was a freak who thought Debate might be a safe haven for him, and Matt Kennedy was the confident product of the process whereby FredMatt found a place where he could be himself and thrive.

As much as many of our students, as well as some coaches/judges, center our identity or focus our arguments on how Debate doesn't do enough to make use "feel at home," the two undeniable facts are that it's a voluntary activity that we choose to participate in over and over again, and still as much as and usually more than any other co-curricular activity in education, Debate offers a place for freaks - of all kinds - to flauntingly and flagrantly fly our flag. When it stops doing that, it's just not as useful for students.
SherryHall

« Reply #31 on: August 14, 2014, 09:45:06 AM »

I will never see a bottle of Chambord and not think of him.
Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  

Jump to: