College Policy Debate Forums
July 16, 2018, 02:51:30 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: IF YOU EXPERIENCE PROBLEMS WITH THE SITE, INCLUDING LOGGING IN, PLEASE LET ME KNOW IMMEDIATELY.  EMAIL ME DIRECTLY OR USE THE CONTACT US LINK AT THE TOP.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Invitation to the 2014 Celebration of Women in Debate Tournament  (Read 1871 times)
japoapst

« on: September 04, 2014, 07:35:24 AM »

Dear Colleagues,

On behalf of George Mason University, you are invited to participate in the First Annual Celebration of Women in Debate Tournament. This year’s competition will be hosted by George Mason University from Saturday, November 8th to Monday, November 10th, 2014. The tournament is open on Tabroom, and I would encourage you to enter.

Despite the major progress that has occurred in academic spaces for women, there are many activities in academia that are still largely dominated by men. This lack of academic participation can especially be seen in collegiate policy debate. Even though debate boasts a deep historical tradition of promoting progressive ideals, this mindset does not seem to extend to a broad proof of inclusivity in the activity itself. While this tournament is definitely not seen as a solution for ever problem concerning exclusion in debate, we hope that it can function as a step toward implementing and encouraging changes that place an emphasis on inclusion within our community.

Our hope is to bring light and credit to the amazing talent, intellect and vigor that our community’s women bring to this activity.

We hope to see you all in Fairfax,

Jackie Poapst, Tournament Host

* Tournament Invitation.docx (29.42 KB - downloaded 585 times.)
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: