College Policy Debate Forums
December 10, 2018, 06:45:42 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: IF YOU EXPERIENCE PROBLEMS WITH THE SITE, INCLUDING LOGGING IN, PLEASE LET ME KNOW IMMEDIATELY.  EMAIL ME DIRECTLY OR USE THE CONTACT US LINK AT THE TOP.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Should we invite another school to a public Debate?  (Read 2251 times)
Lwrnc

« on: November 17, 2014, 01:48:10 PM »

The Wash U Debate Team is going to host a public debate on campus.  Should we invite another school to debate against us, or should we conduct it purely among ourselves?  The former may make the event ostensibly more exciting, but the latter would allow us to centrally plan it to fit the intended goals of the event as well as possible.  It would cost around $8 to bring SLU, a school with which we have somewhat of a rivalry with, to campus, so there's pretty much no cost disad to the former.  I have a particularly short institutional memory, so I'm going to differ to the community's judgement on this - for the purposes of creating an engaging and educational public debate, should we invite a rival school or debate each other? 
Also, we're planning on using approximately the APDA/NPDA speech times: 7-8-8-8-4-5, with a 3 minute CX from the audience in between each pair of speeches.  We want to fit the event into around an hour's time, since many other events seem to fit into about an hour's time, so that it would conflict with as few students' schedules as possible, so I chose another set of speech times which I know works.  Are those speech times advisable, or would something else be recommended? 
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: