College Policy Debate Forums
April 21, 2018, 08:46:57 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: IF YOU EXPERIENCE PROBLEMS WITH THE SITE, INCLUDING LOGGING IN, PLEASE LET ME KNOW IMMEDIATELY.  EMAIL ME DIRECTLY OR USE THE CONTACT US LINK AT THE TOP.

Home   Help Search Login Register CEDA caselist Debate Results Council of Tournament Directors Edebate Archive  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Graduate Assistant Positions at UWG  (Read 1670 times)
Hester

« on: January 07, 2015, 09:49:29 AM »

Hello,

As the Dean of the Honors College, i have resources for graduate assistant positions. As per the usual assistantship offers, each position would cover the costs of tuition and fees, plus provide an additional stipend for each semester (Fall and Spring).

Due to the unique nature of UWG Debate being housed in the Honors College, and not an academic department as other debate programs that offer assistantships for graduate students, there are some special aspects of these positions:
1) Interested students would need to apply for and gain acceptance into one of the graduate programs offered at UWG. UWG has several, both at the masters and doctoral level, some of which are fully online (e.g., the WebMBA doesn't require that you live in Carrollton or even GA). The complete list can be found at - http://www.westga.edu/index_majors_grad.php (to be clear, UWG does not offer graduate degrees in Speech Comm, but there are dozens of others)
2) The graduate student would be enrolled in an academic program outside of the Honors College, but working for UWG Debate. This means no teaching or research responsibilities within the graduate program (that's the good news; on the flip side, because these are not academic programs under my control, i have no 'pull' in you getting accepted, it's on you to be a good enough student to gain admission). Instead, the assistantship would require working with UWG Debate as an 'assistant coach', with the usual duties (research, judging, travel) negotiated individually with each assistant.

My hope is to offer 1-2 assistantships beginning in the Fall 2015. Please contact me by email (mhester@westga.edu) if you are interested or have further questions.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: